Springfield double helm seat

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Wbr2974
1st mate
1st mate

Springfield double helm seat

Post by Wbr2974 »

For those of you who added the double helm seat on the flybridge from Springfield
I’m curious as how it was mounted and was it a worthwhile addition?
Our boat is an 05 with the single seat and pedestal which is fine however the double seat looks really nice..
Any thoughts are appreciated..

Bill
Mv34 075
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Re: Springfield double helm seat

Post by AMCarter3 »

I replaced the broken down double seat on our 2006 PDQ with the Springfield double seat 1 year ago. It requires 2 pedestal posts and installing it was not easy. I had to line up and carefully mount the 2 rail tracks on the seat bottom to exactly match the tracks on the chair. Installing some of the mounting screws was very difficult. There is no room for error. I also had to rebuild some of the base structure for the arm rests.

In the end, it was totally worth the effort. The new seat works perfectly and looks fantastic. It is s lot of fun for 2 people to sit there while driving the boat.(
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Maybe it is just my 240 pounds, but my new double seat from 2015 has a large separation along the after seam. I have no idea how it could be repaired, but we have been on a 7 month cruise and won't worry about it until we get home in Nov.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
Cat Daddy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Cat Daddy »

Stuart Yacht installed mine a few years ago. I was a fairly complicated project but came out great, totally satisfied with the install. After 5 years of use I have mixed feelings. For entertaining the double seat is great, for long passages I would much prefer a nice single seat.

Rafe
Rafe Williams
"Cat Daddy"
MV34 #32
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

We have a 2006 with the double helm seat on the bridge. We cruise the intracoastal, the Keys, and open waters to and from the Bahamas. Both of us are always on the double seat watching the waters ahead. We take one hour stints at the helm so the person on the right steers or controls the autopilot. The person on the left focuses on the chart plotter and radar. We switch every hour. Both look all around, i.e. situational awareness. We feel that the double seat is very important for safety.

Bob MacNeill
Gusto MV 34 #83
Wbr2974
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Wbr2974 »

Thanks for all the replies...
I think I’m going to pull the trigger and buy the
double seat from Springfield. If anyone remembers
which pedestals you bought or if I can use the one I already have and just buy one?
I agree it would be nice on a rougher passage to have a single seat however
I think the benifit of a double may be better overall...
Will update on progress..
Thanks All

Bill
Mv 34
2005 075
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Bill, the following may help:

1. Definitely install 2 pedestals for the Springfield Double Bucket Seat (1 is inadequate).
2. The Springfield seat item # is 1042050.
3. Overton's Camping World (where I bought mine on sale 2 yrs ago) item # 316832 <https://is.gd/tEOyn5>
4. The pedestal used on my PDQ is Wise #314816 (on Overton's website) <https://is.gd/L0ZtW1>
5. I do NOT know the name or item # for the 2 "Slides" that mount on the underside of the seat and allow the seat to slide forward and aft. The Slides on my seat have a unlock bar (with 2 thumb tabs) just under the front edge of the seat. When you push the tabs to the left, the seat is unlock and can then be slid fore and aft. I recommend you call Springfield and ask them for advice on the slides (417) 725-2667/
6. Mounting the slides on the seat underside has to be VERY carefully done so: a) they are perfectly positioned to mount on each pedestal; and b) so when the seat is pushed all the way aft there is room to open the vertical door to the cabinet on the starboard side of the Flybridge helm.

Good luck with the project...
Mac Carter
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Bill, here are some pics of my original seat -- you can see the pedestal, slide tracks and the unlock bar...
Attachments
IMG_2031.jpg
IMG_2030.jpg
IMG_2028.jpg
IMG_2027.jpg
IMG_2026.jpg
IMG_2025.jpg
Mac Carter
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi mac,

i have an alignment question. our 2003 has a crown in the flybridge floor. not sure if that's true on later years but if it is, how did you ensure that the vertical supports are parallel? the reason i ask is that it was mentioned that correct alignment is critical.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

John, I’m pretty sure our double seat with its 2 pedestals were installed when the boat was built in 2006. The deck in front of the helm is flat and therefore the 2 pedestals are exactly vertical.
Mac Carter
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Post by Tom Green »

I replaced my Springfield double helm seat some years ago. The wood bottom had rotted. Springfield sent a nice replacement seat with a synthetic bottom and two pedestals which I did not use. Just put the new seat on the old hardware. You are welcome to the pedestals if you like. Need to ship from Seattle.
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499