Rudder safety warning!!!

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

Rudder safety warning!!!

Post by DickTuschick »

This is a urgent safety notice to all owners, but primarily owners of 2005 and older hulls.
An immediate check should be done on the locking mechanism that secures the rudder post and prevents it from dropping down. It is critical that the rudder post is not allowed to drop down below the upper fitting. Apparently the factory used different methods of preventing the shaft from dropping and some are more durable than others. Sometime in the 2005 model year they switched to a longer rudder post and a thru bolted locking ring on top of the upper fitting that is virtually fail safe.
If the rudder post is allowed to drop below the upper fitting failure of the assembly will eventually occur.
If further information is required I can be reached at 7724862250.
sailkane
skipper
skipper

Re: Rudder safety warning!!!

Post by sailkane »

Thanks Dick
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

Post by DickTuschick »

Just had a conversation with owner of hull #75 a 2005 and he had the improved rudder securing so it looks like after 75 no worries....maybe earlier and if I get more info I will pass it on.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi dick,

after all these years what event has brought this to your attention?

with that said last time i was back there, on our 2003 #23 we have a ss bolt tapped into the rudder shaft above the upper bearing holder.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

We discovered this issue on hull #66 during survey and had rudder put back into position and re-tightened, but without any other mods to keep it in place. Is there a recommended “best” solution to prevent future issues?
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

Dick,

A picture of the upgraded installation would be helpful for comparison.

Tim
M/V Expatriate
HN 068
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Post by Ortolan »

This is our rudder from our mid-2006 (hull #100) model. There is a collar on top of this glassed-in board with one bolt thru into the collar & one protruding out - I assume this is the updated design?
Attachments
6384121E-3ACF-44CB-A3A3-DDF7DD2B8110.jpeg
Russ
Twin Sisters
PRIOR Owners of a 2006 MV34
www.esc-pod.com