100hp yanmar starter replacement for pdq 34

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Lyons Pride
1st mate
1st mate

100hp yanmar starter replacement for pdq 34

Post by Lyons Pride »

I am not quite sure how to access the starter as there is not much room to work with. If anyone has any ideas what may need to be removed to get at it I would be extremely grateful for the advice. If it is too much of pain what recommendations do anyone have for a mechanic in the port charlotte area?
thank you very much

Kip
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: 100hp yanmar starter replacement for pdq 34

Post by deising »

Kip, It can be a real pain to replace the starter. Taking off the alternator allows a bit more access from the front.

I usually do my own work, but called for help on this one. While the engines may be the same port and starboard, the hull shapes are such that you have more/less access depending upon which side of the engine you need to work on.

You don't give any details about the starter problem, but keep in mind there is a relay underneath it that has to be working for the starter to be energized. One set of wiring carries 12V from the key switch to the relay. The relay then energizes the big solenoid on the starter that actually closes the circuit with the heavy wiring to run the starter.

We live in PGI and called Jeff Corsaletti. Good luck.

Florida Captain Services
222 E. Ann St.
Punta Gorda, FL 33950
Phone: 941-315-8361
Email: info@flacaptservices.com
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Kip,

Below is a copy of a post I put on the forum last year regarding the replacement of a starter. I have 75hp engines and have no idea if the 100hp engines with the inter-cooler will cause additional challenges.

I had to replace the starter on the port side. The starter itself was fine in my case, it was only the solenoid that is mounted to the starter. The starter must come out to replace the solenoid. It seems to me there are two solenoids on the starting system, one on the starter and one tucked away out of sight below the starter. I think the one not on the starter activates the one that is on the starter.

When it comes to changing the starter, it is very difficult. I am very mechanical and thought it would be no problem. I worked on it for three hours, had the starter loose but couldn't get it out. My problem was only intermittent so I put it back together to think on it a bit. A couple days later, I tried again. Three hours later, I called the local Yanmar mechanics. It took two of them working together, one in front and one in back, about 2.5 hours to get the old one out. One big challenge is there is a oil drain line coming from the turbo that connects to the bottom of the engine with a little 2 inch long hose. You can't see it but it connects right under the starter. That oil line must be removed. Had I known that I could have done the job.

My original plan was to replace only the solenoid on the starter but due to the labor involved in the job I decided to replace the starter while it was out. There are aftermarket starters available at a quarter the price of a new one from Yanmar. The mechanics convinced me that they are not as reliable (mostly made in China) and due to the difficulty and cost of the job I decided to spend the money on one from Yanmar. I think it was about $600 dollars.

Good luck,
Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

That is interesting info, Alan. I watched (as best I could) the two mechanics replacing the starter and do not recall hearing them talk about removing that oil drain line from the turbo, but i can see where that might be pretty important (or necessary).

It goes without saying that you need a good telescoping mirror to do any serious work on these engines. I find I have to study the image from the mirror, then get my hand in there to feel around blind and identify what it is I need to work on. That is one unfortunate result of cramming engines into tight hull spaces. We do pay for our efficiency.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
Lyons Pride
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Lyons Pride »

the problem is on the port side which has less room to work with. It is a intermittent problem. I believe I can hear the clicking sound from the solenoid and the battery underload is solid. That alternator removal looks like a good idea. I may call that guy you use from PGI as I don't want to invent a whole new vocab while undertaking this project. The intercooler does block a lot of the view as well.
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Kip,

When I had the starter replaced the first time, I had an intermittent problem also. The mechanic in Maryland (during our Great Loop) suggested replacing the relay with a more robust one and mounted on the exterior hull rather than under the engine/starter. It doesn't matter where it is located as long as you wire it correctly. All it takes in corrosion there to cause a problem, so having the relay visible and easily accessible is much better. It does not need to be the Yanmar relay.

You can discuss that with Jeff C if you use him. While the starter is out, inspect any hose clamps in the area. They are a real pain to replace and might be best to do so at that time. BTW, my second starter failure occurred a week after a hose clamp on the raw water piping over the starter was dumping lots of salt water.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

Kip,

What are the symptoms? It might not be the starter.

While in the Bahamas this past winter, I was suddenly unable to start the port engine. There was no other symptom such as slow starting or a grinding noise or anything like that. There was just nothing. Then I jiggled the ignition key vigorously and the engine started instantly. After that, I wired a toggle switch underneath between the ignition "on" wire and the "start" wire that goes to the starter to energize the relay in case jiggling failed to work.

So, what I at first thought was a starter problem turned out to be a switch problem. My VDO gauges at the lower helm vary and do not agree. I added Stewart Warner gauges up on the fly bridge last year and they are steady. Both engines oil pressure and water temperature agree within 5% which is about the accuracy of the gauge. I am still studying this. I may replace the entire panel down below.

Tim
M/V Expatriate
HN 068
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Kip says he can hear a clicking sound when he tries to start, so it is not the transmission neutral safety switch, BUT it is important to know that if the neutral safety switch fails or the connections are not tight, that will prevent the relay from getting voltage to start. The switch is on the aft end of the tranny on top. If you should have a switch failure, the work-around is to simply short the 2 wires together. Be mindful then that the engine could start while in gear.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

I replaced the neutral safety switch on the port engine that had the switch problem. It is definitely something to check on.

Tim
Lyons Pride
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Lyons Pride »

thanks duane…..I did get your boy jeff to come out and he looked at it....I am glad you told me about the solenoid placement as he hasn't done the work yet....seems like a good guy and I will see if he can put it in a more accessible spot.....there is enough visible corrosion on the starter to warrant a new one. If I see any tricks he uses to get at the starter I will pass it on.

Thanks a lot

Kip
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Kip,

I see you sent me a private message almost a month ago that I was never notified about. I just replied today and am posting here in case you do not get a proper notification of my reply.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Not sure this is the string to add my $0.02, but we recently had a starting problem. Engine turned over, but would not start. Checked fuel flow and it was fine. Seems issue is with the fuel stop solenoid which is the device that shuts off fuel to the engine when you hit the kill switch. If that solenoid doesn’t open (when you turn the key) and close (when you hit the kill switch), no fuel, no start. Short term fix seems to be to start the engine “at throttle” by pulling out gear shift and starting motor with a bit of throttle. That’s what we did and motor fired right up which is a good thing because this all came to pass at anchor in the Berry Islands! I also need to kill the motor manually. Not hard, just a hassle.

Getting to that solenoid is a pig so I’m deciding if I should just pay someone in Nassau to do the work.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66