Oil type for the 100 hp engines

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Oil type for the 100 hp engines

Post by dstrecker1 »

Just purchased a 2006 PDQ with the 100 hp engines. The previous owner has been using SAE 15-40 diesel oil in the engines. However I looked at the service manual form Yanmar and it list a straight SAE 30 weight oil for the 100 hp engines and for all of there other models a SAE15-40 weight oil. I would like to know what other have been using in the 100 HP engines and if they know why Yanmar specs a straight SAE 30 weight oil just for this one engine model. I also have noticed on one engine an oil leak near the rear of the engine and a slight coolant leak near the front of the engine. Can't tell where either leak is coming from. Has anyone else experience a similar problem? Any information would help.
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Oil type for the 100 hp engines

Post by deising »

The Operating Manual and Service Manual clearly state 15W-40 for all the engines in that 4JH3 series. I am not sure where you are getting your information.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

I looked online at the Service manuals and could not find the reference to the SAE 30 for the 100 hp engines. While I was on the boat, which is now in Florida, I am presently in New Orleans, I saw the Yanmar service manual the previous owner left on the boat which had the SAE 30 engine oil requirement. I even showed it to a mechanic who was working on the engine. When I get back to the boat in several weeks I will let you know more detail as to the specifics of the manual which was about 100 pages. The engines on the boat are presently using the 15-40 oil.
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

Got back to the boat this past week and pulled out the service manual. The service manual indicates SAE 15W40 without differentiating engine type. However, attached to the back of the service manual and not part of the manual there is a list of multiple Yanmar marine engine types including the 4Js, 3JH4E and 4Ls engines. The sheet is titled "Yanmar Marine Diesel Engine Technical Data". It indicates SAE 30W for the 4JH3HTE (100HP/3800RPM) engine. All other engines showed SAE15W/40. I sent an email to Yanmar for clarification.
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

Got a reply from Yanmar. Just said that I can use SAE15/40, API CD or newer (CG/CH or even newer). I indicated the boat is being used in FL, AL, MS and LA.
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Thanks for closing the loop. Misinformation can happen easily.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

Post by DickTuschick »

Hello to all,
On the subject of oil....it is interesting to note that all of the new diesel engines come with Synthetic oil and recommend its use.
I switched over to syn many many years ago and have been very satisfied with the benefits and can tolerate the slightly higher cost.
I have found that the syn oil stays cleaner much longer (100 hrs and it is still more gold than black) and provides a much longer life between oil changes. In FL, given our warm climate, the 10W40 or 15W40 seems to be ideal. The absolute best price on oil can be had at Walmart and is available in 5qt containers.
AbbotsfordIII
deckhand
deckhand

Post by AbbotsfordIII »

I bought 2004 PDQ 34 #41 with 75 hp Yanmar 4JH3TE engines 8 years ago and until this year have been using only synthetic Mobile 1 Turbodiesel Truck 5W40 oil and changing at 250 hours. I have frequently been adding 2 cups of oil to each engine at my morning check every day after running at 3400 rpm for 6 hours or more the previous day. (I fill to the half mark on the dip stick, seemingly a PDQ thing; if you fill higher it just goes away in a day of running.) I have bought the oil at Walmart for around $25/gallon or in 6-packs of quarts on sale sort of every 3 months at most NAPA stores for similar price. I have been thinking the 5 weight is light, especially for warm weather and maybe that causes some to be "used". This year I just switched to Shell Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend 15W40, available in stock at Advance Auto Parts stores, seemingly on sale every couple months for around $19/gallon (regular $25). Not sure of results yet.
Doug Kerr
Abbotsford III
currently Marathon, FL
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Well, Doug. Two cups after 6 hours is one quart per 12 hours, which is a bit high in oil consumption. From 1500 to 3500 hours my starboard engine has used about 1 quart per 100 hours, and my port engine 1 quart per 15 hours. I have not found the cause for the oil consumption yet.

I have always used 15W40 non-synthetic, BTW.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

I emailed Yanmar about oil consumption and was told 3 quarts/100 gallon of fuel is the acceptable limit. Several mechanics told me that the valve guides were probably the source of the oil consumption.
I have the 100 hp engines with about 2000 hours on them. My starboard engine uses about a cup over 10 hour of running with an average speed of about 12 mph. On the other hand the port engine uses very little oil, maybe a cup every 30 hours. One thing I noticed on the starboard engine is when I first pull the stick after a day of running, the oil level shows at the very bottom. However, after reinserting it and checking again it registers within the two range markers. Have not been able to understand why. If someone has an answer I would like to hear it.
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

dstrecker1,

I wish I could give you a definitive answer about the diptsick level, but I can attest that it is scary seeing the low level when you first pull it out. You only get a good reading after you insert in back all the way.

Three quarts per 100 gal of fuel for us (I run at 7.5 kts and burn just under 1 gal per hour for each engine) is 1 quart every 33 hours. Our port engine uses twice that much. If it really is just the valve guides, that would be an easier fix than some possibilities.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Regarding the dipstick level, I am no expert but here is what I have been told. When the engine runs it creates a little vacuum in the oil reservoir that pulls the oil out of the dipstick tube. When you remove the dipstick, or just pull it out an inch or so, it breaks the seal and allows the oil to flow into the tube for an accurate reading. You need to give it a few seconds to do so.

It sounds like a plausible explanation to me so I am going with it.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines