Engine Gauges analogue to digital conversion

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Engine Gauges analogue to digital conversion

Post by dstrecker1 »

I always wanted a set of engine gages at the upper helm. Presently I only have tachs. Since I added the axiom displays I decided to get a NoLand RS11 analog to digital converter to read engine instruments on the Axioms. Pretty straight forward installation. For the 100 hp engine you only need to tap into one wire on each gauge with a wire tap. Oil pressure use the yellow wire, water temperature use the white wire and tach use the orange wire. Orange wire goes to P+ on the Noland converter. Do that for each engine. The RS11 is used for two engines. The RS 11 puts out NEMA 2000 sentences so you need a NEMA 2000 to Raytalk NG connector. Amazon has them for $34.00. I took the power for the device from one of the instrument bulbs wire. I replaced all my instrument bulbs with red LEDs from Amazon some time ago, Since most of the bulbs have long since burnt out. Also the LEDs draw half the power. The RS11 only draws 50 Mil-amps. So no problem getting the power from the instrument wiring. I tried getting it off the key switch but it will not work. The voltage for some strange reason drops from 12 to 3 volts at the key switch only when the engine is in gear. The unit comes with a USB cable for connecting a computer for calibration and a program for calibration. The program looked difficult in the manual but it turn out to be real simple to use. Kevin at NoLand was real helpful with any questions. I bought the unit directly from NoLand for $355. eBay had a few for 149.00 but I felt safer getting it directly with Tech support if I needed it. By the way, it does not in anyway change the performance of the analog gages. Feel free to contact me if you decide to add the converter. One last thing, the rpm setting is 126 pulses per revolution in the calibration program. Don’t use the P- taps on the RS 11. This is contrary to the manual.

Dennis
Hull 95, 100 hp engines
makala
skipper
skipper

Re: Engine Gauges analogue to digital conversion

Post by makala »

Nice work Dennis!

Where did you get 126 pulses per revolution? I set mine to 127 pulses per revolution based on "internet sources" - if you google the phrase "yanmar rpm pulses 127" it seems to indicate it should be 127?? That is what my EMU-1's are set at.

Thanks!
Doug
makala
skipper
skipper

Post by makala »

To add to this digital conversion thread- once you have the NMEA network its easy to set up an exhaust elbow thermostat alarm.

Our setup is just a large hose clamp, aluminum block, and a Sensata C53GAB140A-125Y. These thermostats are very reliable and this particular one will close the switch at 140 degrees F.

If the switch closes it will give a "CHECK ENGINE" alarm to both of our chartplotters.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Se ... m5MQ%3D%3D

IMG_2712.jpg
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

Hi Doug,

Kevin at Nolan mentioned 126 and it seem to agree with my analog gauge. It is impossible to read the analog gauge and tell the difference between 126 and 127. Next time I reprogram I will change it to 127. The nice thing I like about the conversion is that you can tune the engines into much closer synchronization. The Al block is a good idea. Thanks.

Dennis Strecker
Hull 95
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

UPDATE: I took the boat out and noticed that the rpm on the Noland converter would not go over 3000 rpm as displayed on the Axiom. I called Kevin at Noland and he said to connect the P minus 1 and 2 terminals to the ground terminal with a jumper. That solved the problem with the rpm reading. I also checked the speed of the engine with an electronic hand held tach against the Axiom readings and they were identical. The proper pulse per revolution was confirmed to be 127 for the 100 hp engines. The support from Noland has been excellent.

Dennis Strecker
Hull 95