Will a current 9.9 (2020-23/ 9.9 fit in 1991 PDQ 36 well?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
catalacmarc
skipper
skipper

Will a current 9.9 (2020-23/ 9.9 fit in 1991 PDQ 36 well?

Post by catalacmarc »

Posted in the outboard forum but will post here also just to make sure I can get a response in time to get the job done and go cruising. My 36 still has the original genre engines with manual tilt and block and tackle. While the current ones run, one is showing signs of terminal leg corrosion and the other likely has a failed exhaust manifold, no hub exhaust. It is much easier to get my hands on used and new electric tilt motors. I know the wiring harness, controller and start switches would need to change. Will these new engines fit into the original 1991 wells or do the wells need to be modified? If you have the tilt, how do you use it, do you stop the motor rising by eye?
Thanks Marc
BayouJonny
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Will a current 9.9 (2020-23/ 9.9 fit in 1991 PDQ 36 well?

Post by BayouJonny »

They fit great, no modifications needed to the engine well. The key switches are also the same. Only the harness needs to be switched to the 10 pin. I just installed a brand new 2022 T9.9 XPB on the starboard side. I'm nursing the port side as its running well at the moment and I have the other engine for spare parts. The one I replaced also ran but was no longer pumping water and the lower is frozen on.

In any case they fit very well and come with a tilt switch on the front left side of the motor that is easy to reach. Or you can wire in switches at the helm. I just use the switch on the engine. My controls do not have the tilt switched built in.