Boat yard damaged my boat PDQ 34

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
boathead
1st mate
1st mate

Boat yard damaged my boat PDQ 34

Post by boathead »

Greetings All,

Got my boat pulled for bottom paint. The yard used too small a travel lift in my opinion and bent my toe rail and damaged the railing. Does anyone have any knowledge of a source for a replacement railing or any experience of straightening the aluminum toe rails.

Thank you
Carl Johnson
MV Karma
2003 Hull 28 75 hp Belmar (soon to be renamed KARMA)
home port Queens Creek Mathews Va.(Chesapeake Bay)
Don & Robbin
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Boat yard damaged my boat PDQ 34

Post by Don & Robbin »

Carl,
Our toe rail was bent by slamming a piling during a downburst. You will need several very heavy duty, large (10-12") C clamps, blocks of 2x4 and something very strong that will span the length of the damage. Span the damage on the outside and pull the pull the toe rail back out with the clamps. Use a 2x4 block at the C clamp on the inside to distribute the load along the toe rail. Trim the 2x4 to match the curve of the toe rail, otherwise the end will take all of the load. The toe rail has some spring to it, so you need to bend it beyond normal and let it spring back. I repeated the process several times until it was back to normal. Hint: tie small lines to all of your tools, especially the clamps.
Hope this helps,
Don & Robbin Sayre
Ripple