Prop Zinc Wear

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Prop Zinc Wear

Post by MikeH »

My port prop zinc is wearing at 2 to 3 times the rate of the starboard zinc.

I had installed a new one 10 days before I hauled out - the zinc was already pitted at haul out.

The zincs are from boatzincs.com.

Any ideas?
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Prop Zinc Wear

Post by deising »

Going from memory, I believe that faults in the shore power wiring can introduce an electric field in the water. The field is strongest nearest the underwater fault, so in the unlikely event this is your problem, is the port side closer to the shore power? A good marine electrician can test for you.

OR, it could be something else entirely that I cannot think of at the moment.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
chrishead
deckhand
deckhand

Post by chrishead »

Not related to pitting, but worth sharing is our experience with premature prop nut anode failure and fit. Our former tug used the same prop nut anodes. Some tug owners including us experienced the anodes becoming loose on the nut due to more rapid perishing where the allen bolt secured the zinc to the prop nut. Once loose, the zinc would wobble causing vibration until it eventually fell off unless tightened. The recommended fix was to put some paint (or something to insulate) inside the bottom of the zinc around the mounting hole where the zinc would sit against the nut to prevent premature perishing. We also found that the zinc didn't fit snugly on the prop nut and would wobble until tightened. Inserting pennies inside the zinc on opposite sides to make better contact with the nut seemed to help. We got two seasons out of our last prop zincs on the PDQ, but we mostly anchor out or hang on moorings.
Julie & Chris Head
"Headway"
2006 MV 34 #86 100hp
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

a suggestion. if you search this site you'll see a modification to the nut which significantly cuts down on the loosening problem. basically, install a screw from the inside of the nut and then use a nyloc nut to secure the zinc. otoh, if you don't have line cutters, you may want to consider switching to prop-shaft zincs with conventional prop nuts.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
chrishead
deckhand
deckhand

Post by chrishead »

Thanks, John, I'll check it out. We do have line cutters, so shaft zincs aren't an option.
Chris
Julie & Chris Head
"Headway"
2006 MV 34 #86 100hp