Hull Parts, Bow Cap and Spray Deflector

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
bjgin
skipper
skipper

Hull Parts, Bow Cap and Spray Deflector

Post by bjgin »

Does anyone know where we could buy a bow cap and the spray deflector piece that goes on the lower part of the front of the hull of the PDQ 34?
BJ and Ginny Patterson
2004 PDQ MV34, #40, 110 Engines
FantaSea IV
The Villages, FL
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Re: Hull Parts, Bow Cap and Spray Deflector

Post by AlanH »

We had someone bump us in a marina and damaged one of the bow caps the other one had a scrape on it. We had them both repaired and painted. They came out great.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Hi BJ -

A far as I know, they are both parts that need to be built from scratch.

After I got hit at Block Island last year, New England Boatworks fabricated both the bow cap and spray rails. (They did a great job on the fiberglass work. The rest of the yard is a disaster, and I would not recommend them for any other work until a new set of upper management is put in place.)

On the spray deflector - they took a piece of the rail to get the profile and built a straight piece. Then they made precision wedge cuts to get the wrap-around sections at the bows. NEB was unable to complete the work but shipped the parts to me for installation. We used a forklift and front end loader and clamps to get the section epoxied into place. After curing and fairing, the yard taped them off and spray-painted white.

Depending on the damage, you may be able to use filler and a Dremel to create the profile.
Attachments
20221117_104017.jpg
IMG_20230110_120503.jpg
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
BuoyScout
deckhand
deckhand

Post by BuoyScout »

Hey BJ. I just did some repairs to mine as well. They came out very well with the filler, primer and paint I was advised to use.

How bad is your damage?
Josh + Karen + Dutch
SCOUT, Toronto ON, Canada
2004 PDQ MV/34
Hull #035
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Josh,

Could you tell what kind of "filler" you used to patch your Spray deflector? Mine has a few small nicks that I think could be filled.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
Lyons Pride
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Lyons Pride »

I found the easiest way for me to repair the caps was to fill in the gaps with 5200 and tape off area when dry. Then I glassed the whole piece while in place and sanded the area smooth. I then used a liquid rubber paint and put several coats on and it came out looking brand new. I then cleaned all the mildew off the rear stairwell bumper guards and coated them with the rubber white paint and they turned out very nice.
welby
deckhand
deckhand

Post by welby »

Happy to see this topic, not happy to see the answer! Don of Ripple and I were discussing this just yesterday as he and his wife toured our new baby. We're missing the bow caps and outer rails completely on ours, so it looks like I'll need to find a good ship. MikeH - did your vendor use fiberglass, or extruded plastic or something else to make the pieces you need? I have a buddy who is a whiz with 3D printing, but I'm not aware of any plans out there that he could use as a guide to printing them. Anyone have or seen anything like that? If my pal can print for me, he can print for anyone.