Port windows

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Port windows

Post by dstrecker1 »

I have several port hole type windows that leak in a heavy rain. It is leaking between the hull and frame. I removed the inside screws surrounding one of the port frame expecting the frame with the glass to easily detach from the hull, but apparently the outside frame are glued to the hull. Has anyone experienced this issue and how the frame was removed and reinstall? I am reluctant to get aggressive with force since the hull is cored.
Dennis Strecker
Hull 95
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Port windows

Post by deising »

I have not yet removed the port frames, but I would have assumed they are bedded with something like butyl caulk and I would certainly hope not glued. It might take some warmth from a heat gun (be careful) to allow you to separate the frame from the hull.

Hopefully, someone else here has actual experience to share.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

Follow up on the port holes.
I decided to check the port hole screws and found that the screws on all of the port holes were loose. I then tighten them up. After two days of heavy wind blown rains the port holes did not leak. I plan on going back and remove the inside frame to dry out the space between the inside and outside frame and then reinstall the inside frame. I am not sure if the screws loosen from vibration or if the seal compressed over time. SS screws tend to back out because of the smoothness of the threads. Be careful not to over tighten the screws because it might compress the hull’s core or break/strip the threads.

Dennis
Hull 95
DickTuschick
admiral
admiral

Post by DickTuschick »

Yes, the factory did use a butyl calk under the outside frame that makes it hard to get the exterior frame off. These are great ports but unfortunately no longer offered by Bomar in our size. Corrosion can cause parts of the frame to come apart in areas where it was welded which does result in interior leaks. The units can be removed and re-spot welded to like new condition.
On a related note the plexiglass part of the port does get old and suffer from a "cracking" fatigue around the edges. One owner, John Tesdorph is having a bunch of these plexiglass pieces made so they will be available in the future. Feel free to contact me at 772-486-2250 if you need one.