Which bottom paint?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Which bottom paint?

Post by chicagocat »

Hello all,

I'm getting ready to do the bottom paint on my 1996 36. It was last painted before I bought her last year. The previous owner's maintenance people haven't been super responsive, so I thought I'd ask here. I'm not sure exactly what the bottom paint is on her right now. Does anyone know what paint was on these boats when they were delivered?

Thanks,
Brendan
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

bottom paint

Post by doubledutch »

I think you will find that there were many variations in bottom paint leaving the factory. You probably have one of three most likely finishes - if it was an ablative paint it should leave residue on a rag when you rub firmly - if it was a hard finish it won't rub off but then you need to determine if it was a teflon ( like Interlux VC17) or non teflon type finish. VC17 goes on very thin so if there is much build up it is probably not a teflon type finish. The various paint manufacturers have pretty good info on their web sites indicating compatability options.
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

bottom paint

Post by chicagocat »

Dutch,
Thanks for the info. The previous owners marina finally got back to me and said they were using "Pettit Unipoxy or Interlux fiberglass bottom coat". I'm pretty sure it's the Pettit, though.

Thanks again
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL