Weather Fax

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Weather Fax

Post by SecondWind »

We are trying to use an Eton E5 reciever (Old Grundig Yachtboy 400) to recieve weather fax and read it on the computer. I have three software packages to evaluate, all of which seem suitable. (I'm looking at JV-Com, SEA-TTY, and Weather Fax 2000. They are all similar, but I'm leaning towards the SEA-TTY) My problem seems to be related to signal strength (antennae?) and precise tuning-The software provides and ocilliscope, but often I cannot get the black white signal to invert, which is the key to precise tuning of the USB. Does anyone else have any experience with this type of set-up.

I do get Herb and Chris on voice, and NAV-TEX on 518. Sometimes I get a partial, but generally unreadable fax, and by the time I get it tuned, the transmission is over. :?:
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Yachtboy reception

Post by Page 83 »

I just sold mine on Ebay because I couldn't get it to tune. I THOUGHT it was a problem with the microphone socket on my home-grown computer.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Tuning Wx-Fax

Post by SecondWind »

We have experimented and are now getting poor quality but readable weather faxes.
1. The radio tuning was off 2 kHz. We had to tune upward to get a usable signal.
2. Our signal strength was lousy. Surprisingly we tried something, and it worked. We have an amplified VHF/UHF TV antennae onboard. We linked in to that unit and obtained a usable signal.
3. We have settled on the SEA TTY software, because it has a two window signal meter, one side allows optimum signal tuning to the "white" side, and the other to fine tune the USB t o invert the waveform.

While the solution is not perfect, it does allow us to get weather faxes when the propogation is right.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

Terry,

Have you installed counterpoise lines for the SSB tuner in both hulls’ bilges? The best wire to use is twin ladder 450 ohm ladder line. The counterpoise wires connect to the same lug on your tuner that your antenna attaches to. Adding the counterpoise will lower the noise level of the radio and give you get better reception, more power output, and signal reports.

Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

I have no experience with setting up a receiver to view weather faxes, but I am responding because of a recent article I read. It stated that to receive a weather fax, the radio needs to be set 1.9 KHz below the frequency stated by the schedule. (ex. If the schedule says to tune to 17150.9 Khz, look for a good signal by tuning to 17149). Don't know if it helps, just thought I'd pass on the info.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL