Salt water damage

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
JerryC
deckhand
deckhand

Salt water damage

Post by JerryC »

We have purchased a 1995 classic that has been in Provedence Bay since new. We are sailing/motoring the boat back to Lake Huron starting mid May.
What preventative maintenence should be done prior to the trip that I might be unaware of due to salt water damage.
Does any one have a diagram of the running rigging?
Jerry
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

pre trip check

Post by doubledutch »

I am not sure that there is much to be concerned about re salt water damage. Those of us who sail the fresh water lakes tend to make a bigger deal over salt water than is warranted.

You will be doing a lot of motoring so you want to make sure that your engine cooling systems are flowing well. If impellers have not been replaced in the recent past you might want to do a replacement before heading north.

Take a few minutes to check the watertight compartments at the front and aft of the boat. I discovered after I had my boat home that I had transported about 600 lbs of water in the aft compartments.

If you need help with the running rigging I could send you a few photos once I pull the winter cover off.

Henry
JerryC
deckhand
deckhand

Post by JerryC »

I'm hopeing the seller will be there to help us rig it. We are moveing the boat May 12th. When will you be Rigging yours?
Jerry
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

rigging 32

Post by doubledutch »

My boat is rigged - I don't believe in dropping the mast for winter - I will be taking the tarp off in a week or so - I'll take some pics and send them to you by private e mail.