Water in aft lockers

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
wake up
1st mate
1st mate

Water in aft lockers

Post by wake up »

Both my aft lockers ( steering quadrant and propane locker) hold water, the drain with the small fairing on side isn't low enough to enable the water to completely empty.

They are always full of water because the hoses that drain the hatch seal are not large enough and they block with a minimal amount of debris.

Any one else had the same problem? Solutions?

Thanks

Wake up 1998 PDQ 36
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Yes, I had the same issue. I replaced all of my hatch seals with new seals and made sure that I cut them flush to each other to make a complete seal that will hold out all water. In fact, the water will puddle above the hatch now in a hard rain and no water gets through. Make sure you use closed cell foam or rubber.

And one piece of money saving advice...

Never buy stuff like this at West Marine. Always search McMaster-Carr first.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

They sell lots of great stuff. I bought either EPDM or Neoprene with adhesive backing in a 50 ft roll for about $20, either 3/4 inch or 1 inch I don't remember. That is what you will pay at West for about 8 ft. In addition, using McMaster-Carr's search engine, you can order just about any size and thickness you want, even cut to length. Give it a try, satisfied customer. We use them for all of our industrial supply at work.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL