Mast Pumping

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Sunshine
1st mate
1st mate

Mast Pumping

Post by Sunshine »

Hello Fellow PDQ'ers - In winds of about 15 knots or more, my mast has a tendency to "pump." I've expereinced this on other boats, but not to the extent that it occurs on "SUNSHINE" (34002). It is conceivable that the vibration and pumping motion could cause things to losen and perhaps come apart (circlips, for example). I'm also concerned about the long term effect on the deck and the chain plates.

Is this normal? Should the rigging be tighter (I don't necessarily want to increase the compression force on the coach roof) or maybe looser? Are there rigging tightness guidelines somewhere?

Our mast does not have spreaders (true of the few PDQ 36's that I've personnaly seen), and I wonder if the lack of spreaders contributes to the pumping.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Bill and Anna Marie
S/V "Sunshine" PDQ 34002
West Creek, NJ
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Sunshine,

The early boats, mine included, used masts different than later models. These early masts "pump" a lot in certain conditions. Allezcat, 36010, seems to pump a lot with any significant wind from the beam when at a dock. When lying to an anchor the pumping seems minimal. If you sight up the mast you will see that the center of the mast is the problem.Tightening the rigging will not help and will only crush the mast stepping. I even ran the mid-stays out to the rail with new chainplates to give them a better angle. This stopped the pumping but they interfered with the jib sheeting when hard on the weather, so I put them back and let the mast pump. So far no problem!!

Chet
Allezcat 36010