Life Line Stanchion fasteners

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Life Line Stanchion fasteners

Post by Dan White »

Had an interesting experience I thought some might be interested in:
A couple of months ago, while underway on S/V Double Eagle, a 2003 PDQ Capella, hull # 96, , I lost my balance and fell from the cabin-top onto the side deck. Fortunately, the lifelines and stanchion did their job and kept me aboard. My ego and some body parts were a little bruised, a one of my shoes went overboard, but no major damage otherwise.

A few weeks later, I noticed I had some water in the port bilge. Dutifully I set about trying to figure out the cause. I had recently had the boat hauled and bottom-painted, so I suspected some connection to that. However, after sequentially eliminating all the usual suspects, thru-hulls, fresh water lines, refrigerator condensation, deck wash pump, etc, I decided to investigate the topsides.

Almost immediately I noticed the machine screws holding the base plate on the stanchion I had hit were popped up. (I just hadn't noticed them previously.) Therefore, this was a major source for rain, etc to enter the interior -- 2 open 5/16 inch holes into some part of the inside of the boat. From there the water migrates its way down to the bilge. . After trying to re-screw the screws into what I assumed was some type of fastener, I realized there was nothing there -- they were just seated into caulk!

I was able to get some tapping screws to set the base plate tightly and re-caulk them. Now I just need to water test the repair, but I am pretty sure this is the culprit.

I guess the major discovery for me was that the screws for the base plate on the stanchions did not have substantial backing. Fortunately, they are also bolted to the toe rail, so when I fell, the stanchion remained attached and merely rotated somewhat. I am disappointed in the lack of secure fasteners, however.

I know, I know........... "one hand for the boat and one hand for me" would have prevented this whole thing. Another lesson learned the hard way.