transom grab rails

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Bob
admiral
admiral

transom grab rails

Post by Bob »

I had a recent episode with a derelect and in parting ways managed to mangle the grab rail. Does anyone know who built the stainless for PDQ? Looks to me that I will have to put a deck plate in one of the transom step risers to get to the old nuts on the lower 2 attachment points.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Another suggestions is to enlarge the deck plate in the water heater locker (if it's a starboard grab rail problem) and allow full access into the watertight compartment. My reasoning is that if you are adding another hole into one of the six watertight sections, why not add it where water intrusion won't be a daily concern. It will also prove beneficial in the unforseen chance you encounter a submerged object & bend your rudder through the underside of the hull (it's happened to more than one person on this forum). The access hole will allow you to build up the fiberglass thickness from the inside, leaving the hull shape as original. - Just an FYI from personal experience.

Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

stainless work

Post by doubledutch »

I don't know who did the stainless work for PDQ but it may have been Stainless Steel Outfitters in Barrie, Ontario. I am sure they could help you out and I can tell you they do good quality work.

http://www.stainlessoutfitters.com/marine.htm
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

We had our grab rails (among many other things) replaced after Hurricane Charlie at Gulf Marine Ways in Fort Myers. The SS pipe and welding can be done at any local machine shop who welds stainless. We did need to cut access holes on the outboard side of the stairwells, but they are high enough that they are not a problem. We had $40K of damage, all of which was very successfully repaired without using PDQ's own suppliers.

We were quite happy with all of the repair work done, and during our survey last year our surveyor complemented us on the quality of work done (he had done the damage estimates).
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

Interesting comment about the heater space. I think this highlights the individuality of each boat. Both PDQ's that I have owned were LRC and about 12 hulls difference in construction. The first had a Wolter mounted stbd in the fwd lazaret (sp)along with the holding tank that was molded into the hull. The present boat has a 6 gallon tank under the nav station seat. Stbd engine heats the water underway. The holding tank is molded into the stbd hull under the bottom 2 steps. The PO had the boarding ladder break off when it got tangled up in a mooring line. Nobody at the repair yard seemed interested in reattaching it ;.). When I decide to tackle this I'll let you know how I finally approached it. My sense is that even with a larger access plate in the WT compartment I'd need an Orangutan to be able to reach the lower fastener. I'm just finishing up a minor repair on the hull today and if my gel coat match is close I might be encouraged to cut a hole and the repair it.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace