SALTY YAMAHA 9.9

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
TOPCAT

SALTY YAMAHA 9.9

Post by TOPCAT »

AN OLD SUBJECT BUT STILL A PROBLEM. AFTER MUCH INVESTIGATION I BELIEVE THE ONLY WAY TO PROPERLY FLUSH A 9.9 IS TO REMOVE THE THERMOSTAT HOUSINGS AND SHOVE A GARDEN HOSE WITH A SPRAYER THAT IS CLOSE TO THE SAME SIZE OF THE HOLE AND FLUSH WATER FOR SEVERAL MINUTES IN EACH ENGINE. REMOVE THE RUBBER HOSES FROM BOTH BRASS ELBOWS IN THE CYLINDER BLOCKS AND MAKE SURE WATER IS COMING OUT OF BOTH ELBOWS ,IF NOT ONE CYLINDER HAS A BLOCKAGE. I HAVE HAD GOOD SUCESS REMOVING THE BRASS ELBOWS AND DIGGING AROUND THE HOLE WITH A SMALL SCREWDRIVER AND UN CLOGGING THE HOLES. IT TAKES ABOUT 20 MINUTES PER ENGINE AFTER YOU HAVE DONE IT A FEW TIMES AND IT MAY SAVE THE ENGINE.
John L.
deckhand
deckhand

Flushing "Salty" Yamaha 9.9s

Post by John L. »

Is your described process meant for engines that are already clogged up?

I'm looking for a way to prevent the cooling system from being clogged up in the first place. My current method is described below:

Once a month when I clean the hulls, I also flush the engines while I'm under the boat. My procedure is to slip a large plastic bag over the lower half of each engine, fill the bag with fresh water enough to expand it away from the engine and it's cooling water intake holes near the prop, mix in about a half-quart of Salt-Away solution, and run the mixture through the engines for six minutes each.

I have been doing this for about four years now with seemingly good results.

Greatly appreciate any other suggestions that would be easier.