New Sails

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
admiral
admiral

New Sails

Post by 36041 »

Hey all,

We are working our way back towards the US after five seasons (and the last two years continuous) in the Bahamas and we're making our list of jobs to do during our mega-refit when we get back to the states. One of the items high up on the list is new sails.

Do any of you 36 owners have loose footed mains? What can you tell me about them? Did they improve or hurt performance? How about material? Did you use standard canvas or go to an exotic laminate?

My current thought is to get a kit from Sailrite and sew it up myself like our spinnaker from two seasons ago as the kit comes in at a measly $850 and the cheapest quote we've gotten for a main from a sail loft is pushing $2800. Don't get me wrong, I like performance, but $1900 buys a lot of patience in my book.

Of course, yesterday Next Exit past us pretty handily heading to the same waypoint (Rocky Point, Great Exuma to Little Farmer's) with both of us running full sail and as he went by, I spent the next two and a half hours trimming and hand steering so as to make a better show of it.

I did notice that his main sail had 5 batons as opposed to my 4 and so I am telling myself it must be some sort of super secret, ultra exotic million dollar sails that he was running and I shouldn't feel too bad. Nice rationalization, huh? Maybe it's worth getting a professionally made, high tech type sail?

In any case, I'd like to hear from any of you that are running after market sails and what your take on the type sail your using.

Thanks,
Tom
http://www.tendervittles.net
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Re: New Sails

Post by chicagocat »

Hi Tom,

Last year I got new sails. I used Dave Calvert's loft down in Florida. At the time he was associated with UK sails. He's since gone on his own. My sails are the UK Tape Drive series. They were quite expensive, but my boat is considerably faster on all points of sail.

Brendan
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Post by Kokomo »

We are also sail shopping. What exactly is "quite expensive"?
Roger and Bonnie
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Well.....
the main was $3500 and the jib was about $3000. They would have been considerably cheaper if I had not chosen the UK Tape Drive technology. But the shape and rigidity of the new sails are pretty great, and I'm very happy with them. Dave Calvert was also easy to work with, and he's sort of an acknowledged guru among multihull sailmakers. He was very familiar with the PDQ 36.

He even suggested a modification he said he had seen on one up on Lake Ontario, where someone had moved the backstays over to the sides of the hull. This allowed for a full roach main (and much more sail area). I'm not willing to do that much surgery on my boat, though. Anyway, he's a nice guy and I'd work with him again.

Brendan
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Post by Kokomo »

Tom: We've been getting some quotes as well. Contact me at Kokomo36@juno.com
Roger and Bonnie
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

I bought a new 4 batten Main and Genoa from Calvert last year, and paid about the same. I'm very happy with the shape, quality of materials and workmanship. I think a loose footed main is preferable for a number of reasons: shape control with the outhaul has a wider range of setting because the foot isn't cupped to fit a midrange draft position. Reefing lines, lazy jacks and lazy bags are much easier to fit and use. And its cheaper.
It's probably all in my head, but I feel like Page 83 is pointing higher, and feels prettier in her new suit. Not that she really minded wearing Dream Catcher's hand-me-downs!
You can spend more (Quantum or North US-made) or less (off shore) but I don't think you can buy a better built Catamaran sail than from Dave Calvert.
I would not move the backstays outboard because they would block the stern steps too much. If you want more sail area get a bowsprit and screacher!
NEW: Where are you going to be when you come north?
And check your PMs, Bug hunter!
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

I replaced sails on Allezcat in 2004 using original sailmaker "Triton Sails", 864 Lakeshore Rd East, Mississauga, On L5E 1E1. Tel 905-891-8166 Ron Fenandez.

I don't know if they are still in business but I am very happy with the new sails and the Tides track. The main was just over $3000Ca and the genoa $2800Ca.

Chet
Allezcat 36010
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Hi Chet,

2 things:

First, I had Ron at Triton make me an Asymmetrical spin the year before last. I'm happy with the result, but I must say he was extremely slow. I ordered it in November to be sure I'd have it for spring, but I didn't get it until late July. It was one of those things where I'd leave messages and they'd never call back, etc.

Second, how do you like the Tides sail track? Will the cars fit into the groove on our masts? Is it expensive? I wonder if I could have UK sails here in Chicago retrofit my main with it. My main is pretty tough to get up and down, so the Tides system sounds pretty interesting.

Brendan
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Hi Brendan,

I love the Tides system. Now the main is easy to raise and when the halyard is let go the sail falls by gravity to the boom. I think the old system was a problem of friction of the sail slides and the battens twisting the sail slides jamming them.

I worked directly with Tides Marine, 3251A SW 13th Drive, Deerfield Beach, Fl 33442 Tel 954-420-0949. They sent a gage to measure the groove in mast and then sent the sail hardware; batten slides (articulated), headboard slide, and luff slides to Triton. I installed the plastic track which consisted of just sliding the new track into the mast slot from the bottom and attaching a small bracket at the bottom.

The track (36ft) was $420 and the sail hardware was $506. (headboard slide, 4batten slides, 10 luff slides). Of course these prices were in 2004

Chet
Allezcat 36010