SSB?

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Page 83
admiral
admiral

SSB?

Post by Page 83 »

Richard and Harriet Eisen kept their ssb radio when I bought hull 36026, and I'm a total ssb newbie. If and when I get tired of the Chesapeake and head south, will I want single side band? Or just a receiver?
Page 83 has insulators on the starboard backstay, and 2 dynaplates on the port hull under the sink. There was 3" copper foil running to both but it was heavily corroded.
I have no ambition to circumnavigate. What would I need? Whats the best best book to read?
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
bobn6jun
deckhand
deckhand

Re: SSB?

Post by bobn6jun »

If you cruise only in the U.S. SSB is not necessary, considering VHF weather available everywhere, and Email via many sources. If you want to go to the Bahamas, Caribbean, Mexico, etc., SSB is very useful for weather, not only from NOAA, but from other boaters, and Email via SSB. I am a HAM (25 years) and find it not only useful (both Ham and marine ssb frequencies), but entertaining everywhere I go, U.S. and otherwise. Most SSB radios will transmit on Ham freqs, and many Ham units can be modified to do same on marine freqs. The last is of course illegal except in an emergency (xmit marine ssb on ham radio) but many hams do it all the time. One of the great advantages of HAM radio is that you can get someone on the radio, somewhere, 24 hrs a day, which is of course especially useful in any medical or Mayday occurance. I personally would not go offshore without one or both.
Bob
M/V Priority Won
(ex Gato Del Mar)
ATTITUDE
skipper
skipper

Post by ATTITUDE »

Sandy:
A marine SSB radio would be easy to operate on the marine frequencies (channels) but difficult to operate on the HAM frequencies.
A HAM radio is be easy operate on the marine frequencies (channels) and the marine frequencies.

Also, you can buy a HAM SSB radio for much less money than a marine SSB radio. An added bonus is you can get free email via HAM radio. Otherwise, you have to pay a yearly fee.

My boat, formerly MOJO now ATTITUDE, came with a marine SSB radio. An Icom 710 to be exact. I became a HAM in 1963. However, I was inactive for the past 30 years. Well, after finding out about the above, I switched out my Icom 710 for a HAM SSB radio. I am enjoying being an active HAM as much now as before. WOW! has the technology changed!!!!!!!!

Getting a HAM license has become much easier. First off, there is NO morse code requirement. The written test is now designed to help people pass the test. Plus, believe me, if I could pass anyone can!

If you go to http://www.arrl.org you will find much info on HAM radio and a source of books to get you going. I am sure that you can find a local HAM radio club to help you. Most of them offer license courses. Or come down to sunny Florida. Our club is always offering a course.

As we HAMs say: 73. If means best regards - used in the days of morse code.

N1BTK (my call sign)
Doug

PS Bob - wondering what your call sign is?
ATTITUDE
Captain Doug
Admiral Jeannie
Sea Dog 1st Class Paca

ATTITUDE - the last of human freedoms (Viktor Frankl)
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

http://www.idiyachts.com/
Sandy,

The attached website is owned by Capt. Marti Brown who lives aboard "The Other Woman". She is a personal friend of ours, located in Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL, and is considered to be one of the foremost experts on Marine SSB. Her books are very comprehensive and will probably answer every question you have and some you did not think of. Hope this helps.

http://www.idiyachts.com/
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
bobn6jun
deckhand
deckhand

Post by bobn6jun »

Call sign is N6JUN- Doug gave some great info! FYI while recently in the Keys I was talking to the west coast, Texas, and Mexico nearly every day. HAM is a great hobby as well as extremely useful in an emergency.
Bob
M/V Priority Won
(ex Gato Del Mar)
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Thanks all! I'm going to do something completely out of character and buy the book first. I've thoroughly confused myself at the Seven Seas forum reading up on the semi-religeous war over "radials vs ikumpuckets for ground plane." Hopefully Marti will explain.
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Which model is the most ignoramus-friendly? :oops:
ATTITUDE
skipper
skipper

Post by ATTITUDE »

The Icom 718 is what was recommended to me. Unfortunately, when I went to install it in my nav. station it was one (
1) inch too deep. %&)#%@! So I went with the Icom 706MKIIG. This will fit anywhere. The face plate detaches (with I did not have to do) and measures about one (1) inch deep! The 706 is much more complicated (menus, menus and more menus).

Kenwood and Yaesu also make ham radio transceivers. They may have a comparable radio, but I went with the recommendation.

The ham radios can be modified to transmit on the marine frequencies (albeit a bit illegally). This usually involves cutting one (1) wire. I suspect the radios are made this way so when sold in other countries (where it is not illegal) they can be easily modified. There are websites that give you the "how to".

I bought my radio from a store in California which was then offering free shipping. A fellow picked it up, modified it, brought it back to the store which then shipped it to me.

You will need an antenna tuner (I have the matching Icom) and an antenna.

For email you will need an additonal piece of equipment called a terminal node control (TNC).

Don at http://www.hfradio.com/ is extremely knowledgeable and very willing to help.

Fair winds,
Doug

http://www.hfradio.com/
ATTITUDE
Captain Doug
Admiral Jeannie
Sea Dog 1st Class Paca

bobn6jun
deckhand
deckhand

Post by bobn6jun »

Most tuners made by the ham radio companies, i.e. Icom, Kenwood, and Yeasu may no allow you to tune marine ssb freqs. All manual tuners will alow this. There are auto tuners that will do same; google ssb tuners.
Bob
M/V Priority Won
(ex Gato Del Mar)
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Is insulated backstay + dynaplate still the best antenna compromise for coastal and caribbean cruising?
bobn6jun
deckhand
deckhand

Post by bobn6jun »

With a good tuner the insulated backstay is among the best you can do. I, and many others using ham/ssb have found the Dynaplate not worth the expense (let alone the holes in the hull). About 25 square feet of copper sheet is much better, and you can ground by attaching 3" or 4" copper strip to metal thru hulls (HRO or any radio dealer will have this stuff). The more ground you have the better. On my PDQ PowerCat I grounded to one egine, one rudder post (using hose clamps), AND to the base of the life line stantions. I didn't use copper sheeting (or thru hulls since they are Maralon), although I have used it extensively on other boats. With the grounding system I have I can tune from 28 mhz all the way down to 3 mhz with no problem. I added the life line grounding after I tried the first part and could not tune well below 7 mhz. Depending on the radio used and the tuner used some experimentation may be necessary.
Bob
M/V Priority Won
(ex Gato Del Mar)
bobn6jun
deckhand
deckhand

Post by bobn6jun »

Check out this site for some good antenna/tuner/grounding info:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13 ... -1416.html
Bob
M/V Priority Won
(ex Gato Del Mar)
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

I remember finding the following post from Ed on a previously submitted subject heading:

If you are installing a SSB, the link below provides a good alternative to an insulated backstay antenna. It works better and is a lot cheaper. The link also provides some good info about how to enhance performance on catamarans by installing 450-ohm ladder rope as a counterpoise in each hull to supplement the below-water grounding plate.

http://www.ropeantenna.com/

Rather than installing the antenna tuner in the rear lazerette (which is these are typically installed), it's much better to install it as close to the ground plate as possible (as opposed to putting it close to the antenna). Thus, if you have a PDQ36, a good place is inside the wooden locker to the right of the electrical panel, assuming the ground plate is in your starboard hull. That way, it will only be a few feet from the ground plate. Plus, it will be in a considerably less corrosive environment. Instead of connecting the tuner to the ground plate with a wire, use a strip of copper foil. I moved mine from the rear lazerette -- a hassel. but the result was much improved performance.

Finally, salt air corrodes everything metal, sooner or later. So plan on cleaning EVERY terminal (screw-on or plug-in) on the tuner and radio itself at least annually to maintain good performance.

Ed
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
ATTITUDE
skipper
skipper

Post by ATTITUDE »

The rope antenna certainly is MUCH less expensive than using a backstay (assuming your backstay is in place. Whether the rope antenna is a better antenna? Now that is another story. The rope antenna is basically a long piece of wire running in the middle of a piece of rope. It requires either hanging it permanently or hoisting it up with halyards when you decide to use your SSB radio.
As with any antenna, you have run a wire (a.k.a feed) to the antenna tuner.

I agree with Dr. Ellis that the rear lazarette is a poor location for an antenna tuner. My Capella came with the antenna tuner mounted on the back side of the helm station (easy access through the hinged panel inside the cabin).

The ground for the antenna tuner does not have to go directly to the grounding plate. Any good grounding location will work (ex: metal water tank, metal fuel tank, grounding point for other equipment).

Safe sailing,

Doug
ATTITUDE
Captain Doug
Admiral Jeannie
Sea Dog 1st Class Paca

Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

I already have an insulated backstay and two big dynaplates, on the opposite hull. Common Sense (if I had any) would dictate that I simply use whats there. I haven't spotted where Richard put the antenna tuner, but I'll bet it was in the nearby lazarette. I just got the book to read up on the Technician's License, and Marti's book will probably come tomorrow. HOWEVER: I've gotten caught up in the ground plane debate. I've heard of lifelines used as radials, and some discussion of toe rails too. Is all that just lunatic fringe exotica? Would there be electrolysis issues, or shock hazards using these as ground plane? This is an outboard boat, with Marylon through hulls. The fuel tank is aluminum and the generator is the only piece of iron on board.