Rub rails and stripes

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Sunshine
1st mate
1st mate

Rub rails and stripes

Post by Sunshine »

Hello - while SUNSHINE is on the hard, I'm going to address some "detailing" projects. Has anybody restored the color of the black toe rail? If so, what product(s) did you use? I'm also going to replace the water line and accent stripes. Does anyone know a source for the vinyl tape stripes?

As always, thanks for the info!

Bill
Bill and Anna Marie
S/V "Sunshine" PDQ 34002
West Creek, NJ
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Re: Rub rails and stripes

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I went out on ebay and ordered the reflective police car striping, 2 inch I think it was.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

How do you get that stuff on straight? I had the hardest time getting it on, just barely adequete. Up close, it looks OK, but when you stand back...ooy. So I live with it. It's harder to take off, than put on.
Marc

By the way, I did discover a good way to remove the old stripe. A rubber wheel, made by 3M, on an electric drill. It removes the stripe and the adhesive in one operation. Get it at an auto body supply.
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

I just replaced the stripes and graphics on my PDQ32. I removed the old stripes with a heat gun followed by acetone to remove the glue residue. I had new stripes and graphics made by a local sign and label shop. If you just want stripes West has them in their catalogue. To get the new stuff on right you need to mark the new lines in numerous locations and don't try to do too much at once. Spray the surface with water containing a drop of dish soap - this allows you a bit of adjustment ability if you don't get things quite right.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Luckily, I was able to follow the discoloration of the hull caused by the old stripes.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL