Emergency Bilge Pumps

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Thing 1 Thing 2
deckhand
deckhand

Emergency Bilge Pumps

Post by Thing 1 Thing 2 »

I am getting ready to install emergency bilge pumps in my 34. I am considering installing a suction take off from the main engine pump on each engine, with a T so that I can turn a switch and cause the engines to simply suck the water out of the bilge and pump it overboard. The other option is some sort of belt driven pump that will also work off of the engines. I would presumably do the same installation in each engine compartment and in the forward port compartment where the genset is located. I have not figured out how to handle the forward starboard compartment.

Any thoughts or expereinces would be greatly appreciated.
Leadfree
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Emergency Bilge Pumps

Post by Leadfree »

We are thinking of adding an extra pump to our MV34 as well. We will add one 110 volt pump that we can move from one side to the other as needed. Passagemaker suggests that if one uses the engine as the pump and the water has lots of debris in it (which our hulls had, or if it is the result of some accident), one could hurt the engine. Apparently, the articles suggest the engine doesn't pump water that fast, either.
Sharon & Larry
Lead Free Too
James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: Emergency Bilge Pumps

Post by James Power »

I have had the " cool " experience of using the engine raw water pump to pump out a flooding hull. At higher RPM's, it does O.K. I agree with Sharon, watch out for the debris. A mobile pump makes sence, since it can be deployed anywhere in your vessel, or someone elses. Its great to see Sharon and Larry on board, they have a wealth of knowledge.