Sewing machines other than SailRite

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Sewing machines other than SailRite

Post by Kokomo »

Does anyone have a heavy duty sewing machine (other than SailRite) that they are pleased with? I'm looking for other options for general Sunbrella repair and emergency sail work.
Roger and Bonnie
carib sailor
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Sewing machines other than SailRite

Post by carib sailor »

Check out the "Thompson walking foot" machine.
Last edited by carib sailor on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Be careful of the sailrite clones. It acutally may be the same machine but sailrite does a wonderful job with the setup and alignment. They also add a few of their own special touches that make the extra expense worthwhile. It really is an impressive machine, I was able to sew a bolt rope in with 6 layers of shelter-rite plus two layers of supertramp while making my new tramps. If you check E-bay you'll see that used sailrites go for almost the same price as the new ones, they're worth it.
You might get a bit of a discount by asking them if they have any returned units. I saved a couple hundred because mine had "finish flaws" (scratched paint)
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Post by Kokomo »

We have a Sailrite, and have used it on everything from serious sail repair to new salon cushions. It's good, but not perfect... We were looking for any better options.
Roger and Bonnie
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

How about a Consew 226, that is if you don't need zig-zag.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace