Sail area

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Sail area

Post by Dan White »

Has anyone ever verified the size of the standard Capella 36's main or jib, or know the rating?

I hope to be in the Constellation Cup race in Baltimore's Inner Harbor in a couple weeks and have never had a rating, Thus I started measuring sails. I can't get anywhere near what the owner's manual says:
[*]Standard mast, height off the water is 47 feet.
[*] The boom must be at least 7 feet off the water, therefore the vertical dimension of the luff would be about 40 feet.
[*]The length along the boom is 13 feet .
[*] If the sail was a full square, which it isn't, that would be only 520 square feet, versus the manual at 600?
[*]Same issue with the jib.

What am I missing?
phild
skipper
skipper

Re: Sail area

Post by phild »

I have been unsuccessfully attempting to determine sail area as well. The manual is not accurate - seems to be a combination of stats from both Antares and Capella models. I tried our friends at "Antares" who referred me to Ray at Triton Sails who promised to get back to me but never did.

I have seen many numbers at this point I'm not sure which is correct if any!

Check out the following link to the Sailrite database for one source:

http://quotesys2.sailrite.com/ShowAd.as ... sourceid=2

My best guess follows based on a composite from multiple sources including PDQ:

LOA (length overall): 36 ft 5 in (11.1 m)
LWL (length at waterline): 34 ft 4 in (10.47 m)
Beam: 18 ft 3 in (5.57 m)
Draft minimum: 2 ft 11 in (0.89m) (LRC)
Displacement: 10,700 lbs (LRC)
Windward sail area(total main + jib): 563 ft² (52.3 m2)
Mainsail area: 261 ft² (24.25 m2)
Jib or Solent area: 302 ft² (28.06 m2)
I: 39 ft 7 in (12.07 m)
J: 13 ft 10 in (4.21 m)
E: 12 ft 5 in (3.78 m)
P: 12 ft 5 in (3.78 m)
Mast height above water: 47 ft (14.33 m)

Hope this helps!
Phil and Mary DiDomenico
s/v Arabella

"There is more to sailing than ropes and winches, cleats and bulging sails. There are faraway places and the everchanging light, and the silence, and a great peace at the bottom of your soul." - Mate
phild
skipper
skipper

Post by phild »

Dan,
As a follow-up I did find the following PHRF rating for a PDQ Express which I believe is Mr. Slaters racing (i.e. stripped down - Hull 97 I believe) version of the Capella on the Web which may be of some interest. I don't believe our boats would have a rating anywhere close to the 78 listed below - somewhere north of 150 would be my guess. Let me know if you come up with anything - I'd be very interested!

Division
** ASYM ** PHRF Time on Distance

Boat Name Sail No. Rating
PDQ Express 25770 78
Phil and Mary DiDomenico
s/v Arabella

"There is more to sailing than ropes and winches, cleats and bulging sails. There are faraway places and the everchanging light, and the silence, and a great peace at the bottom of your soul." - Mate
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

At one time I believe the rating for the Cruiser's Regatta in George Town was 136 for the Classic
Don Wilson
Next Exit
wake up
1st mate
1st mate

Post by wake up »

Steel sails has just been rated a 144 though i do not have the standard sails, I carry a screacher on a bowsprit and also fly the spinnaker from this.
if you send me an email address i'll send you a copy of the rating cert which includes sail size. I believe steel sails main and jib are standard

rgds
paul haggar
Steel sails 36067
PDQ-Dave
skipper
skipper

Post by PDQ-Dave »

Hey Paul (Steel Sails),

Could you post pictures of your bowsprit?

Anyone else out there have a sprit that they could share pictures and/or details?
Dave Kane
Previous owner of Pacifica #36068
http://www.DKsail.com
http://www.PDQ36.blogspot.com
phild
skipper
skipper

Post by phild »

Dan,
How did make out the the Constellation Cup race?
Phil and Mary DiDomenico
s/v Arabella

Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

Phil asked how we did in the Constellation Cup race. Here is what I had written up about it:
Double Eagle II and her crew (3 good friends of mine) competed for the very first time in an actual organized sailboat race. This was called the "Constellation Cup", not in honor of Constellation Energy, (which just sold itself, along with BG&E to Warren Buffet to avoid bankruptcy and to secure the executives immoral bonuses), but rather, in honor of, and as a fund-raiser for, the USS Constellation. The last all sail warship built by the US.

The wind was spectacular, blowing 15 to 20 out of NNE all day. The course started just about where Francis Scott Key composed the National Anthem, about 2 miles SE of Fort McHenry. There were 40 boats altogether in 3 classes. Since we were in the multihull class, and theoretically faster than the old-fashioned monohulls, we had to sail an extra lap of 8 miles, between Ft McHenry and Ft Carrol, (which was built by then Col. Robert E. Lee before the Civil War), before proceeding on to the finish line at Harborplace.

Double Eagle II did very well, completing the 20 miles in about 4 hours, hitting speeds at times of 8.5 knots. Fortunately the wind was not such that we had to beat directly into the wind, which is not her particular best angle.

We had lots of fun and our lovely wives joined us for the party afterwards at the dock. Also, the ship raised lots of cash and presented us with a Second Place award.

ps: In the interest of full disclosure, I would be disingenuous if I didn't mention one small factoid: though there were 40 boats in the whole race, there were only 3 in our class. Unfortunately, one of them capsized, so only 2 finished. :-)
(The boat that capsized was a Reynolds 33, skippered by Jim Nealy. No one was hurt, but some damage to equipment did occur. The boat that won our class was an F -- 33 I believe)
phild
skipper
skipper

Post by phild »

Thanks for the update! It brought back memories of long ago when I lived in Ellicott City and frequented the Inner Harbor on a regular basis prior to its development! The many ethic festivals held in the Summer were something special!

Sounds like you had a great time racing! That's the kind of low key racing I'm hoping to get involved with locally next Summer. Maybe you could come up north and give me a few pointers!

Were you able to get the boat certified? What rating did you finally end up with? What sail area dimensions did you use?
Phil and Mary DiDomenico
s/v Arabella

Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

Phil asked "Were you able to get the boat certified? What rating did you finally end up with? What sail area dimensions did you use?"

I submitted my calculations on sail area, but the committee just decide to give me the same rating as a Gemini, because they had that number. I believe he said it was about .85. I am not sure of how you use that in the calculation.

For the main, I measured the boom (13) times 40 ft times 2/3 (to account for a little bit of roach).That was about 350SF. Same process with the jib.