water in keel

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Bob
admiral
admiral

water in keel

Post by Bob »

I remember reading either on the list or newsletter about water in the keels. I can't seem to locate the thread---does anyone recall the thread? I've pulled "PEACE" out for the winter for the first time in freezing climes. I just want to be prepared in the event I do see a condensation line as it would not be good to have any significant amount of water freeze. I'm assuming the previous 2 owners rarely had the boat out of the water except for bottom paining so that would make it about 13 years. My plan would be to drill 1/4" hole(s) to drain then in the spring use high strength filler/epoxy mix to reseal and then a pass with pure resin to maintain barrier coat integrity.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
carib sailor
1st mate
1st mate

Re: water in keel

Post by carib sailor »

The keel is divided into three sections. You will need to drain it in the front, middle and stern if there is water in there.
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Bob,
You very likely have water in the keels. Every time I have hauled for a bottom paint (about 2-3yrs) I have them drill holes and drain the keels. Its amazing how much smelly seawater resides there. There are indeed three compartments. I finally had them put in permanent bronze drains which are almost flush with the bottom of the keel and have a screw-in bronze plug with a recessed square hole to accomodate a wrench. Fortunately we do not have the freezing problem in Florida but we do have a hurricane problem.
Chet
Allezcat 36010
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

Allezcat wrote:Bob,
... I finally had them put in permanent bronze drains which are almost flush with the bottom of the keel and have a screw-in bronze plug with a recessed square hole to accomodate a wrench.
Allezcat 36010
Can you describe exactly where the plugs are? On the bottom, or on the side of the keel? I've been wanting to test for water but didn't want to randomly drill holes looking for the the best spot! Also, are the plugs relatively easy to install?

And of course, do we have a guess as to where the water comes in and how to stop it?
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

I will have to drill holes on the side as the keels are sitting lengthwise on 6"x6" timbers. I'm familiar with the plug you describe. I know it as a garboard strake drain plug. I think they are readily available at Hamilton Marine. Still a lot of wooden boats here so there is a demand.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I discovered water in my keels on Tanah Keeta the first time I pulled her for bottom painting. You can tell real easily.. knock on the keels.. if they sound like the lead keel on your mono hull, they have water... if they sound hollow, they are empty.

I had a hole rubbed in the keel where my anchor line had wrapped the keel. By pressurizing it with an air gun, I found about a hundred tiny pin holes near the hull to keel joint. Since these keels are designed to shear off if you hit something real serious, the fairing material seems to be porus. I had all the pin holes I could find filled with epoxy and I never had any more water in the keels (5 seasons before I hauled her for the last time before sale). It was not inexpensive.. PDQ paid $1000 plus for the work.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Bob,

The bronze drains I had installed are on the bottom of the keels. I will check out the locations soon and post them. The boat is on a lift in the canal behind our house.

Chet
Allezcat 36010
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

Just musing... One might consider using a deck water filler plug. It's tapered all around so it would create minimal interruption in the water flow. To drain the keels, you would just use the key to unscrew the cap. To install it, one would need to cut the pipe off flush so that it would allow maximum drainage.

BoatBits (Ebay) has cast stainless versions of these for $9.95

Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
PDQ-Dave
skipper
skipper

Post by PDQ-Dave »

I found a gallon or two of water in my starboard keel today after drilling three exploratory holes in each keel. Only the middle selection of my starboard keel held a substantive amount.

Here is a picture of the smelly water. I plan to pressurize the keel with air to determine the leak and then fill what I can with expanding foam before patching the glass.
Attachments
P9240024.JPG
P9240024.JPG (118.94 KiB) Viewed 13562 times
Dave Kane
Previous owner of Pacifica #36068
http://www.DKsail.com
http://www.PDQ36.blogspot.com
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

I just got back from the boat and am happy to report that there appears to be no water in the keels. I had doubts about one section so I drilled a couple of holes and came up dry.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
PDQ-Dave
skipper
skipper

Post by PDQ-Dave »

I tested the starboard keel for leaks today. As you recall from my previous post the starboard keel held a few gallons of water. I plugged the other test holes I'd drilled in the keel and fitted a standard air fitting with some catalyzed bonding compound. About twenty minutes later I pressurized the keel and sprayed down the exterior with soapy water looking for bubbles. I tried this three times with increasing pressure each time. NOTHING! Maybe water is leaking into the keels from water in the bilge which is largely unaccessible on starboard. Whatever the case there are no substantive leaks.
Attachments
PA040019.JPG
PA040019.JPG (94.63 KiB) Viewed 13442 times
PA040017.JPG
PA040017.JPG (104.02 KiB) Viewed 13432 times
PA040015.JPG
PA040015.JPG (116.13 KiB) Viewed 13437 times
Dave Kane
Previous owner of Pacifica #36068
http://www.DKsail.com
http://www.PDQ36.blogspot.com
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Good news, bad news, and a question...

Lady of the Lake is on the hard getting new bottom paint. Good news is I found no water in the keels. Bad news is there were some minor blisters on the keels, but easy to repair. Now for the question. When sanding down the keels and repairing the blisters, it became evident that the keels are different from anything I had seen before. The top half of the keels are a different material than the bottom half which are fiberglass as expected. The top half seems to be more of a hard foam type material. Is this the material that allows the keels to be "sacrificial"? Once painted it all looks the same but I was surprised to see the 2 different materials. It is not just where too much fiberglass could have been sanded off, it is a straight line down each keel, looks original. Any ideas? James, your thoughts? Remember I have a very early hull, #15.

Thanks for any clarification,
Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL