Hydralic Steering - Cogwheeling

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Hydralic Steering - Cogwheeling

Post by Tom Green »

I have some cogwheeling or some jerkiness to the steering on both the upper and lower helm stations. Can anyone tell me the cause of this and the solution? Do I just need to add hydralic fluid from the upper station? I don't see any apparent leaks in the system as I have inspected it.

Thanks
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Hydralic Steering - Cogwheeling

Post by duetto »

hi tom,

sounds like either rudders need balancing or air in system. first i would try balancing the rudders. we've found that balancing rudders can eliminate some of these symptoms. if this doesn't help then check the slave cylinder seals for small leak.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Post by Tom Green »

Thanks John

I will follow your suggestions of things to check when I am on the boat this weekend.

Tom Green
MV 99
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi tom,

never actually asked. is the fluid level low in the upper helm? if it is you need to add fluid. if it overflows overnight, it's an indication of air in the system.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Post by Tom Green »

John

I didn't get down to have a look at it this weekend. It is in a shop having a generator installed. We are planning a trip to Alaska and felt we needed this. Unfortunately, the place was secured for the weekend by the time I got down there. So I will have to check on these things later this week and will let you know.

I certainly appreciate all the helpful feedback from you and the others on this forum. As a new owner it is very useful. There are few of us out in this part of the country. Is nice to be able to communicate this way. If you are ever out in the Seattle area, we would be glad to see you and show you some of our boating area. It is quite different than what you are used to.

Thanks again.

Tom
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

Post by DickTuschick »

Hi Tom,
Based on your explanation of the symtons, it sure sounds like just air in the pump. Since each wheel is an independant pump, it sounds like you have air in both units. Air in the lower unit is very uncommon, but still possible. Start by loostening the filler cap at the lower unit and fuid should stream out, releasing any air that might be traped in that unit. Be careful, it will make a mess! As soon as fluid comes out replace the screw cap. Then add fluid at the upper helm as normal. You should never have to remove the lower screw plug again, but as air works it's way to the upper station you may have to top it off again at some point. If you have to add fluid again in less than 12 months you may have a leak in the system somewhere. In theory, leaks can only occur at the connection points (behind the wheels, autopilot pump, rudder centering valve, and port and std rams) but it is always possile to puncture the black plastic hose somewhere.
Best regards