Upholstery: PDQ 36 Interior Cushions and Settee

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Upholstery: PDQ 36 Interior Cushions and Settee

Post by maxicrom »

We are looking at redoing our interior cushions - it may have been redone once (no idea) since it is not that bad after 17 years. Are there any considerations we should be paying attention to when we look at shops to get this done (marine vendors vs regular commercial). Any recommendations or horror stories that we should be aware of. With the Boat show this weekend we figured it might be a good time to test the waters and get some estimates. I've had the seat backs off the settee while installing our AC unit and it was not a pleasant experience - a real mismatch of assorted screws and velcro - which makes me think that this may have been redone at some point. Looking at boat interiors at the show should give us ideas about current fabrics and colors.

will appreciate any input...

Mike& Linda
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Upholstery: PDQ 36 Interior Cushions and Settee

Post by amytom »

I'm also looking into recovering the cushions. I will be doing the work myself though. I've ordered samples from Sailrite and now trying to choose a fabric.
Ultrasuede would be ideal but cost prohibitive. So now trying to decide between http://www.sailrite.com/Categories?search=8029 fabric and http://www.sailrite.com/Categories?search=MA2

The majestic does feel nice on the sample patch but what about in the heat of a FL summer? The Sunbrella might stain easier though (sweat, sun lotion, etc...).

Any thoughts or ideas?
SeaPaws
1st mate
1st mate

Post by SeaPaws »

My wife redid our interior cushions in UltraSuede that I got a good deal searching through the internet. Or course my wife found a color that was no longer made. I found a company that had a quantity of it and got a fair deal. It held up well and it is washable, the new owners of our PDQ are still enjoying the feel of ultrasuede on their boat "Sunshine" now.

Now my wife would recommend the Sunbrella interior fabrics now. She has made some throw pillows from that fabric and loves the feel. I know the pillows have been in the washer now and look new after a wash. She is making cockpit cushions for our current boat out of a new Sunbrella print and color, something that will be comfortable to sit on. The current cockpit cushions are made of textaline and are very painful to sit on with bare skin.
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

Chet, does your wife remember how many yards of material she used?
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
Leadfree
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Leadfree »

When we were having Lead Free Too built, we found Sunbrella material with patterns designed by Stout Fabrics of NY. Our seashell pattern is no longer available but they do have some different designs. I love Sunbrella as I can pull it off, wash it in the wash machine, dry it in the dryer and put it back on looking like new. Spots can be easily spot cleaned with soap like Ivory and water. We live on the boat 9 months out of the year and the boat is 5 years old.
Sharon of Lead Free Too
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Thanks for the input -

We looked at Sunbrella Fabrics today at the show. II the Max currently has a coral colored ultra suede cushions. They are definately showing the wear. We have two small terriers and are looking for a strong fabric that will hold up - we spend at least a few days a week on the boat so it gets pretty good use.

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

I think we've also decided to go with the Sunbrella; specifically the Dash Redwood (#8029 at Sailrite). We decided the interior should be less like a boat and more like a livving room. If we ever decide to make cockpit cushions we'll use the Naugahyde there.
We've also decided to use the inexpensive cushion underlining to keep the bottoms from sliding around but haven't figured out the backs yet. Does everyone else use snaps or velcro to hold the backs in place?
Leadfree
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Leadfree »

Our cushions came with a strip of velcro sewen along the top and bottom, almost the whole length. The velcro on the boat has the sticky backing. The seat cushions have the same method with the velcro sewen into the back along the zipper and the bottom where it meets the wood to access the storage underneath. It not only stays in place very well, it makes them removable for cleaning.
Sharon of Lead Free Too
SeaPaws
1st mate
1st mate

Post by SeaPaws »

Hey Bob, I am not sure of how much material my CEO( Chief Everything Officer) used on the project.

Amytom.......We used a plastic track for bolt rope and heated it to bend around the curve of the seats. My wife sewed the light weight bolt rope into the cushion back.
Leadfree
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Leadfree »

Well, we just saw some of the Sunbrella fabric patterns. They have come a long way and you might want to check your options at the Sunbrella website.
Sharon :D
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Here's the new interior cushions. Look okay? (cell phone camera, not the best)
Attachments
IMG00470.jpg
IMG00470.jpg (18.17 KiB) Viewed 13576 times