36' LRC gelcoat cracking under bridgedeck

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
MagicDragon
skipper
skipper

36' LRC gelcoat cracking under bridgedeck

Post by MagicDragon »

Have just pulled Magic Dragon, our 1996 MRK II LRC (Hull #54), out of water for first winter near Cleveland. Boat is new to us, and has never seen freezing temps - brought her up from NC during July. Had lots of adventures due to long postponed maintenance issues. She's on the hard now at Riverfront and we're taking care of some of these issues (port skeg is missing bottom point due to running over submerged log in Erie Canal).

While walking under the bridgedeck, we noticed there are two hairline cracks that run across from one hull to the other under the bridgedeck at about where the bulkhead is. Has anyone else noticed this, and do you have any suggestions? Perhaps it is only a seam from the original mold and nothing to worry about, but we want to be sure.

Have attached picture - it appears the crack runs directly under the main cabin bulkhead about 14' back from bow nose. thanks in advance!
Attachments
Crack Under Bridgedeck 2.JPG
Crack Under Bridgedeck 2.JPG (220.09 KiB) Viewed 9446 times
Last edited by MagicDragon on Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.MagicDragonPDQ.com
Angela Barbati
S/V Magic Dragon 36054
near Cleveland, OH
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Re: 36' LRC gelcoat cracking under bridgedeck

Post by Cat Tales »

Forward (directly below where the baby stay attaches) or Aft (below the cockpit lockers)?
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
MagicDragon
skipper
skipper

Post by MagicDragon »

The first crack runs parallel to the bulkhead between the salon and the two staterooms. The second, less noticeable crack runs parallel to the outer wall holding the sliding door. This is approximate - will get exact dimensions the next trip down so that we can try to compare the cracks to the various walls inside. thanks for any feedback!
Angela Barbati
S/V Magic Dragon 36054
near Cleveland, OH
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

James or Simon
Do you guys have any ideas regarding this cracking? This is not the first time we have seen it.

Thanks,
Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey guys, I have seen an assortment of irregularities in the bridge deck area over the years. Some of it was from modifying the mould, some from mould maintenance etc.. Since the bridge deck surface is not seen very often, not as much time was spent maintaining the moulds in that area. From what I can see from the photo the crack looks too straight and perfect to be a crack, maybe a seam. Might be a good idea to get it checked out anyways just in case there is something else going on. There is a chance that we may do our yearly run down south this winter. If thats the case, it would be interesting to see these first hand. James
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Love to have you over to take a look at ours. She will be in Punta Gorda for most of the winter and then back in Melbourne prior to Hurricane Season.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
MagicDragon
skipper
skipper

Post by MagicDragon »

After sending an inquiry to Salwa at PDQ, got the following reply from chris@liveantares.com

The description you provided Salwa is not a mould seam. It sounds like crack in the bridgedeck as a result of wave action -- pounding while heavily loaded. It is serious, but it is easily repairable. We had it from time to time on the 36s.

I have left a message for James Power, our warranty repair person (he worked as my warranty person for years while we were in PDQ together). Because you are so close to us in Southern Ontario I'm hoping that he can get in touch with you and arrange a visit. Any arrangement you come to would be entirely between you and James. If you can't come to an arrangement then he would still be a good source of ideas on the repair. (He has done them before.)

Please let me know how things work out. Best wishes, Chris Calver Customer Service Manager
Angela Barbati
S/V Magic Dragon 36054
near Cleveland, OH
MagicDragon
skipper
skipper

Post by MagicDragon »

Magic Dragon posting further info from Chris at LiveAntares

I've just been on the phone with James. He told me that he'd already been in touch with you after seeing your entry on the PDQ Forum. He also disagreed with my suggestion that the crack was a real crack. And he suggested that I get onto the forum and look at the picture. I did, and I wish I'd seen the picture before my first e-mail to you. The straight line is clearly not a crack. It is some kind of surface artifact from the lay-up process. James and I discussed what may have
caused it, without being able to decide. But we are sure it was something that the people doing the layup of the hull did when doing the gelcoat. Unfortunately, all the moulds have been destroyed and I have no 36s in the area to inspect. I do have many photographs of 36's being launched, but none show that line -- at least in the pictures.

A crack has a very distinctive appearance. Mostly it is very random along its edge, even where it is apparently in a straight line. I think that your boat is likely just fine. However, in case you really have a problem some further checking should set your mind at rest. You should try to push up hard on either side of the "crack" and see if you can see or feel any slight opening or closing of the crack line. I doubt that you will. But, if you do, then a cosmetic repair is likely all that is needed. On the other hand, if your pushing-up discloses a big opening with a characteristic random look, then I think you should have it looked at. I hope this has set your mind at rest. Best wishes, Chris
Angela Barbati
S/V Magic Dragon 36054
near Cleveland, OH