Curtains

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Half Moon 36073
deckhand
deckhand

Curtains

Post by Half Moon 36073 »

HELP! My wife wants "window treatments" for Half Moon. Any suggestions?
Alex Kehayes
MC Oh Sea Dee
deckhand
deckhand

Post by MC Oh Sea Dee »

One idea... the loop side of velcro will adhere to the carpeted walls in the staterooms. Just buy an extra twin sheet that matches your bedding, cut and hem a rectangle, sew on four small squares of velcro loop...custom matching drapes! Easy to hang and remove, too.
Oh Sea Dee
Half Moon 36073
deckhand
deckhand

CURTAINS

Post by Half Moon 36073 »

Mili Cook wrote:One idea... the loop side of velcro will adhere to the carpeted walls in the staterooms. Just buy an extra twin sheet that matches your bedding, cut and hem a rectangle, sew on four small squares of velcro loop...custom matching drapes! Easy to hang and remove, too.
That was easy, thank you Mili. Now, what about galley and nav area?
Alex
MC Oh Sea Dee
deckhand
deckhand

window treatments

Post by MC Oh Sea Dee »

Not quite sure why you would want window treatments in the galley and nav areas...also have no creative solution! I have seen blinds used, and some newer vessels even have them integral to the port. I'll keep my eyes open at the Miami Boat Show, and let you know if I see any good ideas.
Oh Sea Dee
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Re: window treatments

Post by Dan White »

"Not quite sure why you would want window treatments in the galley and nav areas...also have no creative solution! I have seen blinds used, and some newer vessels even have them integral to the port. "

You could try "shutters". Go to:
http://sail2000.com/s2k/images/PaB_04.jpg
I saw these at the Annapolis boat show. They were light weight, and appeared to be reasonably well made.[/quote]
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Re: Curtains

Post by Cat Tales »

Has anyone come up with curtains for the saloon windows? We have the phifertex on the exterior, but wish to add privacy curtains for the interior.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Gina and I have done this on Lady of the Lake. On the hatches, we made rectangles with our favorite fabric, backed it with black out backing, and sewed a spot of velcro in each corner. Then we put matching velcro spots on the corner of each hatch frame. Just make sure you clean the frame very well first or the velcro will not stick for long.

Then, on the side windows, we attached slider rails above and below the window (we have wooden window frames) and made matching curtains and sewed in the track snaps that snap into the sliders on the rails. They work great. You can get them at West Marine. I think I actually found mine on ebay. Go to Westmarine.com and search for:

Curtain Snap Track

and you will see the system tracks and also some prefab curtains. Since our windows are not vertical, we put the snap tape and track on both top and bottom.

I will try to get pics next time at the boat.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Sam, I was able to see the curtains from your webpage. The snap track idea would work for our larger ports port & stbd because we have the wooden screen casing on the inside, but the saloon windows and hatches will probably have to be some kind of velcro. Because the later models have an irregular window surface area, the track would have to be attached to the headliner, not to the plastic molding around saloon windows, in order to cover the whole window. I'm just not happy distorting the lines of the saloon interior.

I have a picture from some one elses PDQ showing a clean attachment for the saloon windows. Does anyone recognize this boat?
Attachments
Curtains.jpg
Curtains.jpg (41.92 KiB) Viewed 17375 times
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Boynton Beach, FL
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

This is the boat I sold this year.. Tanah Keeta Hull #89.

I am not sure that I would do the salon windows the way I did. I used awning track.. vinyl and screwed it above the windows. The bottom of the shades were attached by velcro.. on the vinyl and on the fiberglass. The velcro did not last and it left a nasty residue. The shades were made from Textiline (sp?) and worked great when they were stuck. I used a 1/4 inch plastic tubing to sew in the bolt rope. It slid in the awning track just right. We rolled the shades up when we wanted a view and kept them in place with clothes pins...

My problem was the lower attachment. If some one comes up with a better solution than velcro.. it would be a nice setup.. maybe snaps?

You can also see the curtains on the wooden screen surround in the picture. A simple extendable curtain rod on the top and bottom.

Tanah Keeta, by the way is on her way to the Virgin Islands... straight out from Beaufort, NC 300 miles and turn south. New sailors with a captain. Lets wish them Godspeed and hope he looks over them.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

On our 32 I bought a stretchy plastic coated spring cord from a curtain fabric store. I used nylon electrical cable anchors screwed in place at intervals above and below the windows to secure the cord. We then had curtains sewn with a sleeve top and bottom to slide over the plastic cord. The curtains are made a bit longer than the space between top and bottom cords so they blouse out a bit at the bottom. They look great and can be closed or opened relatively easily.
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Double Dutch, can you submit any pictures of your curtains?

Ron, what if Tanah Keetah's saloon windows had the same awning track top & bottom, instead of snaps or velcro? Sliding them off the track and stowing them would give a view.

That's great news of Tanah Keeta's voyage with her new owners. Wishing them fair winds and following seas.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Boynton Beach, FL
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

That might work. As I remember, the windows narrow as they go forward. This may make it difficult to slide off.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

""Double Dutch, can you submit any pictures of your curtains?""

I'll try to get some pics on the weekend.
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

This is the first of 2 photos of curtains
Attachments
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 006.jpg (136.43 KiB) Viewed 17215 times
doubledutch
admiral
admiral