Have you pulled your mast? FORESPAR ML-2 light wiring?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Bacchagato
1st mate
1st mate

Have you pulled your mast? FORESPAR ML-2 light wiring?

Post by Bacchagato »

Hello all
I'm trying to figure out the wiring run to the FORESPAR deck light/steaming light located on the front of the mast about 2/3 towards the top. Our original wires were cut and dropped back inside the mast (don't ask).
Our PDQ has an Offshore Spars mast. At the mast base we have 3 fittings that exit the mast, go thru a quick-disconnnect, then re-enter the mast base. 2 are Aqua Signal 5-pins, and 1 is for the radar. From what I can tell with a multimeter (no expert here), the starboard 5-pin runs the strobe, anchor light, tricolor and spare, all at the masthead. The port 5-pin runs the Raymarine wind speed/direction sending unit, also at masthead.
I cannot find an external quick-disconnect fitting for the FORESPAR ML-2 light. I ran a trace cord from the ML-2 fixture on the mast down thru the wiring tube, and pulled it out at the base sheaves... so I'm hoping to locate the original wiring, pull it down to the base, attach to the trace, and pull it back up.
Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as we miss the steaming and deck light tremendously.
Thanks,
Morgan
Bacchagato
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: Have you pulled your mast? FORESPAR ML-2 light wiring?

Post by Page 83 »

I can only imagine what a PITA that was to run the trace cord from the ML-2 to the mast base. You get at least a gold star for that! I suggest you just pull new wires to the fixture and add another waterproof connection. Its POSSIBLE that the wires didn't get into the wire tube, and are dangling somewhere next to the halyards, a suboptimal condition.

The following is a harebrained idea. I bought a very small and very,very cheap USB netcam on Ebay, and use it to see anything I can't get my head close to, on a laptop. Total investment less than $20. Tape it to a batten and poke it up the mast. I've used it to see into my airtanks/inadvertant rainwater catchment containers in the transoms and the bow tanks, the mystery voids between the hulls and the interior liner, and around the other Pandora Boxes on Page 83.

What, you don't have any Pandora Boxes?
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Re: Have you pulled your mast? FORESPAR ML-2 light wiring?

Post by maxicrom »

I'm interested to hear your solution - my deck light has never worked since we got the boat four years ago - all the other lights seem to work OK. But it is at the bottom of my to-do list.

Funny story: Two years ago I found out my steaming light worked as we were pulled over by the USCG during the DC Holiday Parade of lights (in route to Alexandria) for not having our running lights on - we were lit up like a chrismas tree - to the top of the mast and around the boat. We turned on the running and steaming lights and the Coasties' politely thanked us and moved on. (Rules are rules I guess). Man... this year was cold with snow freezing to the Eizenglass we did the DC loop and headed back to the slip (no Coasties though...) 8)

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max