NEED TO RUN NEW AC PIPING TO CABINS :-(

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

NEED TO RUN NEW AC PIPING TO CABINS :-(

Post by Ross Bowling »

Vita Bella has sprung a leak in the copper feed lines for the cabin AC air handlers. I am hoping that there channel that carries the copper lines is a straight shot from the AC units that are in front of the Salon Table to the rear air handlers. In the event that there is a bulkhead, we will need to run the feed lines through the Port hull to the stern, which will be a real pain in the A..

I am hoping to get some help on this one. Anyone from the former PDQ staff have a handle on this one??????

The repair folks tell me that the condenser will need replacing but fortunately, CruiseAir is going to supply the unit under warranty. I am still looking a quite a bill for the labor.

Warm on San Francisco Bay . . . .
Ross Bowling
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Re: NEED TO RUN NEW AC PIPING TO CABINS :-(

Post by Mary & Roger »

Ross and Diane,
WE have hull # 62, and oyr cabin A?C is all self contained between the cabins, and the salon A/C is all self contioned forward of the salon seat behind anchor locker.

I hape I didn't misunderstand your question, but I dont think there is any connection between the two. let me know if I'm wrong.

Roger
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

ROGER

Both of the condensers on our boat are forward of the salon table, under the seat. Copper lines, I think I was told 1/4 & 3/8" respectfully, run from the units to the "air handlers" in a space between the two cabins. Apparently moving the unit for the cabins forward was done to drop the noise levels in the cabins. So, with a leak in the lines going from the AC condensers to the cabins, the only answer that we can find is to replace the lines and we are hoping that the replacements can be run down the channel that is currently being used. Otherwise we have a BIG challenge to re route the copper lines.

rb
Ross Bowling
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Ross, thanks for the update. I put our central vacuum in that space. My bet is that it won't be real hard to run the tubing, but the insulation will be tough. Bet thats why the leak, copper against fiberglass. The residential HVAC has a thiner and tougher insulation, maybe look into it. My Regular HVAC guy does me boats a lot cheaper than a marine guy. Roger
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Ross, there are no bulkheads installed in the stiffening ribs, it should be a straight shot. After removal, inspecting the lines for damage is a good idea since finding and fixing the leak can be a challenge. James
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

JAMES-

Thanks so much for your reply. We are planning to run NEW lines aft but we are a bit concerned that there is something in the channel that caused the leak. I will post to the Forum once I get a handle on the cause of the leak.

Once again Thanks and say Hi to Jackie

rb
Ross Bowling
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

Post by DickTuschick »

Hi Ross,
Just a suggestion....be sure it is reall the line and not the fitting right by the aft units. We had several problems with the fittings they used but I can't imagine the line actually failing.
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

Well, here are the painful findings. There is a crack in the copper AC high pressure line. The lines have been replaced as well as the condenser for the cabins. The lines will be charged tomorrow and hopefully we will be back in business. There was some moisture in the chase, have no idea how it got there, but will be glad to have the system back in operation. I will be happy to give details off line if anyone is interested. 650-342-6007.
Ross Bowling
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Ross, where was the split in the high pressure line? Did it have anything to do with standing water in the chace? Good luck in the recharge. James
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

J-

We do believe that it was due to standing water in the chase. Any suggestions?
Ross Bowling
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Ross, try to determin where the water came from, ie condenser condensation, deck or plumbing leak etc. The only entry points would be where the copper lines enter and exit the chase. How much water did you remove and was it fresh or salt ? James
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

J-

It was salt water and we are really confused where it wold be coming from. I am not sure the amount, but enough to attack the copper. The insulation was not run on all of the line, and the attack was at a joint that was exposed. The repair folks ran a rag on lines back and forth to dry out the chase prior to the new install and coated the new lines entirely in teflon grease.

The only explanation I can think of is that there was salt water in the rear of the boat in Fl. (another shaft leak) and when the boat was loaded it made it's way into the chase. There is also a chance that during the transit from Florida to Ensenada, the ship took lots of water and some made it's way to the chase.

I am hopeful that we will not be looking at another replacement in a couple of years.

rb
Ross Bowling