upper helm seat

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

upper helm seat

Post by Mary & Roger »

We have a 2005 PDQ with a single upper helm seat & want to change to double...anyone done this? What seat fits, where did you get it & how much did it cost? We have also been in contact with Pearson as they are upgrading the new 2008 with the double seat which I"m sure will cost a bundle...Thanks...Mary...

PS Rog wants to know if anyone has the dingy davit for sale? Or, put one on...where, how & how much$...Thanks
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: upper helm seat

Post by duetto »

hi,

we replaced our dinghy davit when ours broke. we had the original fat tube davits. we got the replacements from st croix davits. they had made up a pair of prototypes for pdq but were never used. they are currently on a 2004 boat in the chesapeake. they matched the existing holes. pdq embedded an aluminum plate in the hull which is tapped or you can use backing plates.

we're very pleased with the results.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Gadzooks!
skipper
skipper

Post by Gadzooks! »

When our boat was being built, we discussed with PDQ the possibility of a double helm seat. They said that, if we wanted a double seat, they would have to change the deck reinforcement supporting the seat pedestal. This indicates to me it may not be feasible to retrofit a double-pedestal seat without some work to reinforce the deck. The situation possibly could be different on hulls later than our #33.

Our factory-supplied rather cheap minimal seat has cracked and the nose of the lever controlling rotation has broken off, making operation difficult. We are looking to replace the seat. Has your market research turned up any likely candidates? I suspect your single seat is the same as ours but, if not, we'd be interested in details with an eye toward buying it from you.
Mebs and Wally Gilliam
Gadzooks! MV34 #33
Beth Simkins
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Beth Simkins »

I am currently working on getting a price for the "aftermarket" upper helm seat now being made by our local supplier. Having completed the new seat for HERON (the 34 we are using in the fall boat shows) I can tell you it looks great. It still has the back that goes forward or aft but it is made with powder coated metal and much more durable material. The PDQ Yachts logo is now stitched into the seat as well. I will post back when I get the price. I will also verify the strength of the floor for mounting purposes.
Beth Simkins
PDQ Division Mgr/Pearson Marine Group
Beth Simkins
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Beth Simkins »

I bet you think I've forgotten all about the upper helm seat request?! Not so!! It has taken me awhile to get the right people to spend some time on it but we are in the process of working on the helm seat now. Our plan is to offer not only the upper helm seat but other "a la carte" items to owners. This way if you would like to add the lower helm seat, the folding nav table, the inside curtains etc we can have them available for after-market purchase. I will have more details in the owners ezine scheduled to go out in January. If there are specific items you would be interested in but don't think I will have it on my list of items, please email me your thoughts.
Beth Simkins
PDQ Division Mgr/Pearson Marine Group
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Mebs & Wally, we did find a double helm seat at Boaters world, $300.00. I took the headliner [2 center], and fastened the seat down with 3" SS screws, finish washers, and some shims on the port side, as I put it to port so the right side of the seat would line up with the helm. I bent the screws just a little to clear the headliner, and it works well for us.
Our old seat has seen better days, screws broken, and padding was all cracked from UV.
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Katlin »

We replaced the FB helm seat with a Springfield Marine Co (springfieldgrp.com) double seat (they call it a double bucket) with a flip back (P/N 1042050) and two new pedestals. You'll also want to install a slider to allow full access into the forward FB storage doors. Like above, we filled the old holes with epoxy, removed the headliner and rebolted with fender washers and lots of LifeSeal. This seat is not shown in their catalog but rep I spoke with was very helpful. Big improvement over the single and we like the flip back.

John and Pat Sawyer
Katlin MV 34/76
jbrad
skipper
skipper

Post by jbrad »

Hi Pat and John.

We have the last 04 with the newer salon layout and would also like to switch the seats. Could you possibly post pictures of your installation or send them to me. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jimmy and Jonathan
Mr Busy
MV 059
MR BUSY