Fresh Water Pump.

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Don Burton
deckhand
deckhand

Fresh Water Pump.

Post by Don Burton »

We are having trouble with our fresh water pump .It heats up and quits until it cools down. I have replaced it four times, asked the factory about the problem and they just send me a new one (under warrenty) but no suggestions.Anyone else had a problem? I modified the piping to eliminate a couple of 90 degree angles but am still having problems. Don Burton on Snow Cat
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Re: Fresh Water Pump.

Post by Ross Bowling »

Don -

I think that I have replaced the shu flo pump at least 12 times in 2 years. I have had many discussions with the factory and their suggestion was to go from the 5+ gpm pump to the 4gpm model. I have had fewer problems with this pump. I keep a spare on the boat just in case I need to change it. After the first change,in Florida with Henry Clews help, which took 20 minutes, I can do the change in less than 4 minutes.

Good luck, and you might try the 4+gpm pump. Having water when you want it is worth the small difference in flow.
Ross Bowling
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi guys,

a free pump is hard to refuse, but what about swapping for the equivalent jabsco model. i say this assuming there is nothing partially clogging the input line.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

Post by DickTuschick »

Hi Folks,
We have encountered numerous proplems with these pumps, mostly defective pumps (never any questions asked, factory just replaced them, but they suposedly solved the problem and since then we have not seen any failures) but we have also see many of the problems caused by a restriction in the feed line. These pumps are not designed to "suck" and any restriction causes problems. I did a note earlier on the forum relating to the in line filter which was the cause of many problems. There could be yet other problems in the feed line from the tank ??? If I were encountering on-going problems with the pump I would really look at the feed line. The design of the system allows a build up of "stuff" in the tank and eventually the pick up tube could get cloged. I think a good maintenance item would be to wet vac out the water tank once a year and blow the feed tube from the pump end at the same time. I know of several people that use a good water filter on their hose when filling the tank, this seems to really help.
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I Have hull #108 and the water system has been in use since Sept 2007. So far...no pump problems. I did discuss with several filter manufacturers about the filter installed between the tank and the pump and they all said that these filters were made for pressure.. not vacuum operation. I have never used this filter.. it is in bypass mode. I do have a serious filter from Lowes that filters out 99.9% of everything... Here at Boat Harbor in the Abacos, we have very high water pressure and with this filter, the flow is restricted to the point that it takes about a hour and a half to fill the 80 gal. tank. I am confident that nothing is going into my tank that could inhibit the pump..... However, with all I have read on the forum, I do carry a spare.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108