Bilge Alarms & Pumps

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Bilge Alarms & Pumps

Post by Allezcat »

Having recently acquired MV096, I am now addressing some of my fears & concerns regarding this boat. The installed bilge pumps seem grossly inadequate for other than minor leaks (rated 1100GPH at 13.6V and no head). Realistically with 12V and 4ft head that drops to about 500; and it is wired thru no less than 4 switches, any of which disable it. (Soon to change!) I am adding a 4000GPH pump in each stern slighly above the existing pump activated by a high water alarm switch which will display and sound on the upper bridge panel. This should alert anyone at the upper helm or a passerby at a dock when no one is aboard. The two pumps should give some valuable time to discover the problem BEFORE the boat goes down. Of particular concern is the lengthy hose from the seacock to the engine cooling water filter.
Along with this I find I am unable to reach the seacocks even when lying face down on the engine baffling. I picture trying to reach these with a flooded compartment, particularly at night. So, I am engineering vertical extensions for the engine and cabin A/C seacocks so that I can close them by simply removing the boards under the mattress and reaching in.
Any comments or suggestions?

Chet
Allezcat II
MV 096
Gadzooks!
skipper
skipper

Re: Bilge Alarms & Pumps

Post by Gadzooks! »

Re: Seacocks. How about a piece of plastic pipe with a slot cut in the end that would fit over the seacock lever. The idea is to extend one's reach to enable operation from the bunk board level. A hole at the top to accommodate a long bolt or such to form a T-handle might be needed to increase leverage. Possibly could be secured in place with perhaps tape or other impermanent means to avoid fumbling around to locate the seacock. Also would encourage the good practice of closing the seacocks when leaving the boat for extended periods. Don't know about A/C seacocks as #33 does not have.

Re: Pumps: Good idea. What are you doing for an outlet? Y-joint with the existing? I'm a bit concerned that the flow from forward to the pumps aft is restricted so that a sizable leak (e.g.from hitting a log) might fill the locker faster than it can drain aft. I carry a manual whale pump mounted on a board and equipped with a hose long enough to reach the bottom of the forward lockers. For a leak aft, the plan is to use this pump on the bunk boards or cabin floor with exhaust out the transom port.
Mebs and Wally Gilliam
Gadzooks! MV34 #33
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

I have often thought of keeping a 120 volt sump pump aboard for the "unthinkable". Start the Genset and let 'er rip. I guess the worst that could happen is that I call in insurance company. All kidding aside, I really think that this would work.

Thoughts . . . . . .
Ross Bowling
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Hey Ross & Wally,

Thanks for the input.
Ross, sounds like a good idea (sump pump). Whats the pump rate on those things?
Wally, I like your idea using plastic pipe but it will be a challenge as the seacocks on this boat are upside down with hose coming out top and the handle facing the bottom of the hull.

Chet
Allezcat II / MV096
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

Chet-

I had one that I used to pump water out of the backyard at the house until I broke down and installed some decent drainage. This baby pumped through a 3" flexible hose, I think that the pumps come in different sizes and varied GPM's, but I think that the extra weight in carrying the pump and 15 ft of hose could really pay off.

Cheaper than a Lg Rule Bilge pump and I always hate putting more holes into the boat. One could stick the hose out one of the windows and head for the boatyard or beach. ;-0

rb
Ross Bowling
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

a couple of years back passagemaker magazine did an in depth on bilge pumps and got into how much water comes in thru different size holes. it's a huge amount. anyone contemplating this kind of project should try to get a copy.

on another note, we saw a "cigarette" boat that hit a sand bar and ripped a stern drive out. the seatow guy plugged the hole with the expandable foam used to seal spaces around pipes. haven't tried it myself but seems like a key piece to an emergency solution.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23