exhaust elbow

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

exhaust elbow

Post by Mary & Roger »

Has anybody replaced their exhaust elbows on 100 hp. engines? I have one [port] leaking badly, and have read so much on how cheaply made the Yanmar elbows are made, I wondered if there was a good aftermarket one. When they leak, you will have raw/salt water all over the aft end of your engine!!! I guess a fresh water wash, and salt away, ane ideas? Teamwork has 1700 hrs, and it is a '05. Will replace both.
Thanks, Roger Comer Teamwork, hull #62
James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: exhaust elbow

Post by James Power »

Hey Roger,

I haven't heard of an after market elbow. Swapping them out early and rinsing off the engine is a great idea to minimize engine corrosion. I have had them re welded in the past and they seem to be holding up OK. PDQ's Yanmar distributer has a few in stock at an attractive price. If you want their contact info give me a call.

James
772-678-2268
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

roger,

how did you discover that elbow was leaking? where on the elbow is the leak? is it where the raw water gets injected into the elbow?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

John, I thought you would be back to me. The leak is on the pipe that connects to the turbo, there won't be any question when it starts leaking, water will be in your engine bilge and all over the trans cooler, transmission, engine, and motor mounts. James said he had one welded, ss should be OK, but silver soulder won't stay it gets too hot. They are $500.00 plus at Mack Boring. Changing a part like that every 5-7 years sounds like Yanmar took the cheap route, dont know how to rince out in the water. Roger
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

are we talking about water outside engine (i.e. on trans, mounts, etc) or water inside of the engine? i've had the elbow off on one engine and the pipe that delivers the water into the exhaust is angled down, at least normally, and shouldn't have gotten into engine through exhaust ports. turbo impeller is a lot closer, so that maybe a bigger problem.

call me on the 4155 number.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

John, not in engine, outside all over trans etc. Roger
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

i would rinse everything down with fresh water and maybe saltaway solution.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

My starboard engine exhaust elbow is leaking water all over the motor mount and transmission. Total time is only 1250hrs. Where can I get a replacement that will last? Help please. On the move South to Florida now in Oriental, NC.

Chet
MV34096 / 100HP 4JH3-HTE
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Hi Chet,
Mack Boring has an office in Wilmington, NC They are official distributors for Yanmar.... It will be expensive.

Glad to see you are headed south. We were worried about you and Irene.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Chet, an expert at changing them is Josh Roberts 910-620-3212. He will order from Mack Boring, and discount some. I have one used, that looks good as the new one, and one that can be repaired. Josh lives in Wilmington, NC. Roger Comer Teamwork
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Thanks Ron,Mary,Roger
I tried an epoxy stick with no luck. I think the elbow gets too hot for the epoxy. It appears the leak is at the weld between the pipe from the turbo-charger and the larger exhaust pipe over which the hose fits. I am just letting it leak for now until we get the boat to Florida (Titusville?) where it will have some "down time" for repairs. Thanks for your suggestions.
Chet
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

chet,

in the past, i've used marinetex on exhaust systems. if you can build it up, better on the inside, it usually will hold. the 2 parts can't vibrate though.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Roger to the Rescue,

We were motoring down the ICW South of Cape Fear when we came across Roger & Mary prepping "Teamwork" for their annual trek to the Bahamas. I described our Exhaust leak to Roger and Voila, he came up with a used elbow from his boat. I installed it last night after a few curses trying to get a wrench on the salt crusted rear nut holding the flange. The job took 2 hrs. We ran all day today and I just checked the compartment. Bone Dry!

Thanks Mary & Roger
This PDQ group is the greatest

Chet & Sharon onboard AllezCat II, MV34096
Charleston, SC
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

you go buck rogers! ;)
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23