Exhaust Elbow Spacer

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Exhaust Elbow Spacer

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Just had a problem with exnaust leaking into the starboard cabin... actually at a high level.

Found out that two of the three bolts holding the exhaust elbow and the spacer to the turbo were broken. This was the same engine that had a broken elbow and sprayed a lot of seawater in that area. If you have had an elbow failure, you might want to be alert for any exhaust smell. I'm sure that vibration played a part also.

The 2 inch spacer that moves the exhaust elbow out to line up with the exhaust hose is not a Yanmar part. According to Yanmar, It is a PDQ part.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
SHINNDIG
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Exhaust Elbow Spacer

Post by SHINNDIG »

Ron,

I just removed a leaking exhaust elbow from my port 100HP engine. It was spraying salt water all over from the weld that connects the exhaust pipe to the water jacket. Two of the three studs that were holding it to the turbo charger were so rusted that they broke off flush when I tried to remove them. There does appear to be a spacer between the elbow and the turbo, but in my case its only about 1/4 inch thick. It leads me to believe that if I can get the spacer off, I may have a chance at removing the broken studs from the turbo charger without taking it off the engine. Do you know if the spacer is independantly connected to the turbo or does it rely solely on the exhaust elbow studs to secure it? Do you know if its feasible to reweld the elbow? Any guidance you can provide from your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jerry Shinn
MV34 - 45
SHINNDIG
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Hey Jerry,
I have the 110 HP engines.... the large spacer is unique to those engines. I am not knowledgeable about the 100 hp engines. I know that Roger on Teamwork has had recent experience with the exhaust elbow on your engine. He is here in the Bahamas with us. I will have him reply.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi jerry,

they can be re-welded. james powers got us in touch with a canadian yanmar guy who had re-welded some. sorry i don't remember his name.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
SHINNDIG
deckhand
deckhand

Post by SHINNDIG »

Thanks Ron and John. I'm going to take mine to the local weld shop and the local Yanmar dealer tomorrow and get their opinion on how to proceed. I 'm not excited about putting out $500 to put a new one in.
Where are you guys in the Bahamas? We usually spend May and June over there - last two years in the Abacos.

Jerry Shinn
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Teamwork, Duetto and TK III are at Boat Harbor in Marsh Harbour.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Hey Jerry, I had one elbow silver soldered, and that didn't work, as they get hotter than the silver solder. I didn't have a spacer, but was lucky and got the broken bolts out without removing turbo, and intercooler. Put 2 new ones on, they are different, maybe 2nd generation. I did that because I don't like salt water on all the parts back there. With a GOOD welder, and stainless steel it might work, but your mind will always be on it. Roger on Teamwork