New potential PDQ 36 owner

Information for first time users - registration, posting pictures, testing, suggestions, etc.
deckofficer
deckhand
deckhand

New potential PDQ 36 owner

Post by deckofficer »

Hi all,

Name is Bob and I find myself drawn to the PDQ 36. Previous boats dating back 40+ years, Flying Junior, a family owned boat, Rhodes 19 and Balboa 26 friends boats, Cal 40 my first ocean capable boat, and F-28 brother's tri. I'm a graduate of CMA, Unlimited Tonnage Deck Officer, retired early to care for my 92 year old dad. When I can return to the sea, unlike work, will be on my schedule, time frame, and choice of direction.

My last "boat" @ 32,000 tons

Yours truly

My office

Looking forward to learning more about the PDQ and meeting the good folks on this forum.
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Re: New potential PDQ 36 owner

Post by holomoku »

Welcome aboard Bob!

PDQ is a great boat and there are lots of good folks here with many years experience, knowledge and good tips.

Spencer
deckofficer
deckhand
deckhand

Post by deckofficer »

Thanks Spencer.

I've been thinking it is a pretty good boat now for awhile, so I'm here to immerse myself among owners and learn first hand about the PDQ.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Check out www.pdq36.com for a list of PDQs for sale. I run the website but am not financially involved with any transactions.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
deckofficer
deckhand
deckhand

Post by deckofficer »

Sam,

I have your link from prior research but thanks. How long have you had your PDQ, and from owning other boats, what do you see as short comings of the PDQ to other boats?
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Gina and I have had our PDQ since 2005. I lived aboard a monohull before the cat. Even though I loved the Endeavour 37, I do not ever think I will return to a monohull. But I suspect that is not your debate. What I can tell you is that there are definitely tradeoffs in a 36 ft cat, but I think we made the right decision for us. She is quick, great fun to sail, and draws less than 3 feet. Plus she has 2 motors, unlike the Gemini. If I had it to do over again...I refer the later PDQ 36 design that moved the shower further aft to allow for a separate shower enclosure. I also like the stern bench and the hard top. But we have managed to do the necessary mods to make ours, well, ours.

Keep asking questions to the forum, plenty of great info out here.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
deckofficer
deckhand
deckhand

Post by deckofficer »

Thank you Sam for taking the time to respond. Like you, I came from the mono camp. My brother used to have the Corsair F-28, a fast and fun non cruising boat. My last boat 20 years ago, was a Cal 40 that I just loved. A rocketship down wind, and as you know for long passages single handed, it is comforting to know during your 20 minute cat naps, that the rig will de-power on getting hit by a gust. From my very limited experience, a multi will not dump because it doesn't heel much in a big gust. I would assume for snoozing during the night you just reduce sail and run way under canvased for the conditions knowing you have some headroom for more wind.
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Hey Bob,

What do you wish to do with the boat?

We are current owners of a PDQ MV34 powercat but just sold our PDQ36 hull#10. We had that boat for 18 years and loved it. It was the perfect Bahamas and coastal cruising boat for us and we even took it through the Canadian waterways and Great Lakes one year. It was a seaworthy, comfortable cruising boat for 2-4. We found it to be a good mix of comfort and performance, but its performance is quite sensitive to loading (or overloading because of all the space onboard).
If there were a weakpoint, it would be the Yamaha engines. While they are adequate powerwise, they begin to develop problems when operated in saltwater at around the 800-1000Hr range. The earlier engines had no fresh water flush capabilities and deposits plug up the cooling passages creating all sorts of problems. Also the DC charging capabilities are pretty puny at about 8 amps each but most owners now use a Honda EU2000i generator to power a high ouput charger thru the shore power receptacle to charge batteries for extended time at anchor.
That the 36's are still going strong and in demand after 20yrs is a tribute to their designers and builders.

Chet
deckofficer
deckhand
deckhand

Post by deckofficer »

Thanks Chet,

My plans are single handed, live aboard full time cruiser. The two outboards I might replace with Torqeedo 4.0 electric drives. With proper consideration to weather routing, hope the PDQ 36 would make a good little passage maker. I like the light displacement and the fact it wasn't designed and built for the charter market. Also, a full chart size nav table in a 36 footer is a nice touch. As a buyer, it hurts a bit that they hold their value so well, but as an owner I'm sure I'll appreciate all the reasons why it holds its value.