sewing new canvas

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
amytom
admiral
admiral

sewing new canvas

Post by amytom »

I've been considering replacing all the sunbrella and clear windows. Looked into Sailrite website and like their offerings but I'm not sure about the sewing machines.
Is there a less expensive alternative that will sew sunbrella and the clear plastic windows?

Tom
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Saw a used canvas machine at our consignment shop in Punta Gorda. (Mariners Trading Company 1035 Elizabeth St, Punta Gorda, 941-639-1340). Call them and see if they still have it (I don't remember the price).
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Too late. It already sold for about $300.00.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Any thoughts about something like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-INDUSTRIAL-HEAV ... dZViewItem
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Or,

https://www.tuffsew.com

Anybody have luck with the off brand units?
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

That machine is a non-zigzag version of the Sailrite, without the extra parts and tuneup the Sailrite has. I bought the zigzag version from the same supplier before Sailrite's lawyers informed them that they had the exclusive US rights. It has worked OK for a number of smaller projects, but I can believe that the "real thing" would be worth it for large projects. As it turns out, my dodger was rebuilt (new Strataglss windows) by friends who have a very similar machine, made in the same factory but with a long arm.

I was able to upgrade with some of the Sailrite addons, like the heavy flywheel, and Sailrite said that they can supply a few of the internal parts. They will not, however, do any repair or tuneup work.
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

I should point out that my machine has a name like "Camper's Tentmaker" from ebay seller "geeyaah." The other machine shown, from Tuffsew, looks like the same item and I'm guessing my friends got the 9-inch version they sell. I bought mine two years ago, and its a zig-zag, so I can't address details like recent changes or service.
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

I purchased a Sailrite, non zig-zagging machine last year to replace my full enclosure. The zig zag feature was sold as mostly a sail-sewing feature. Since I don't plan to make or do major repair to sails, the regular stitch is sufficient. The best part of Sailrite is their service. Since I am new to sewing, they spent enough time showing me the proper stitches, machine setup, and all the tricks.

I don't know the price difference between Sailrite & the other machines, but if you need it Sailrite's service is well worth it. If you call Sailrite, they may have used/refurbished units for sale.

Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

The Sailrite machines are $650 for the straight, $850 for the zigzag. The "off label" versions are about half the price. For me it was a good deal, because I never would have paid the Sailrite price. On the other hand, the Sailrite machines definitely get and overhaul, including such things as welding to strengthen the frame to prevent flexing. I think they are a good value, especially for those who don't want to learn how to service their own machines.
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

We are going to try canvas work this summer. We bought an old Singer treadle that had been electrified. We have made salon window covers using Sunbrella window mesh. It sewed through the mesh, webbing and binder with no problem. My understanding is that a long stich length is all that is required. We tried a piece of vinyl and sunbrella and didn't notice any puckering (either the fabric or ourselves). I will say the binder attachment sold by Sailrite is the neatest thing since sliced bread!
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Looks like Sailrite it is.
Nice when you see a product that is universally accepted as the best and worth it. Hopefully the savings from DIY will offset the cost of the unit plus some.

Tom