Capella, episode two

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Capella, episode two

Post by Page 83 »

An elephant is a race horse designed by a government committee.

Knowing that, I still want to ask the following question: What would a new, improved Capella 36 have different, and what would stay the same? I vote for centerboards and shaft drives, or side access to outboards.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Re: Capella, episode two

Post by Dan White »

as I recall, the "Capella-express" had daggerboards and removed 2000 pounds of weight. Added 25% more sail area.
In addition to those, I would also like, but recognize some of them would add weight, so they may not be adviseable:
Wider walking area at side decks; Higher bridgedeck clearance; wider aft cabin; electric hoists for outboards; Two way traffic at cockpit saloon door; Sound isolation between cabins; Sound insulation from engines and generator; Sound isolation from head; Stern and bow seats in pulpits; Nite vision on all lights; Gauges - not just lites - on all tanks; Hose connection to pressurize water; Island beds; bow ladder
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: Capella, episode two

Post by Page 83 »

I would like to see:
a little more bridge deck clearance
more aft bouyancy, for arch and dinghy
no more than 19'6" beam for travel lifts
Lower genoa reef drum for more sail area.
engines hoist like the Tom Cat that get the engines high enough to change the lower unit oil, perhaps on tracks that come up outside the aft salon bulkhead (remove wheel to work on stbd engine.)
Full opening hatches in hard bimini directly above the engines, big enough to crane the engines thru.
folding pipe berth port hull aft
One inch hatch drains.
Catch-water system for bimini.
Full access to all batteries
top loading reefers, one that freezes, with serious insulation.
Space to store second propane bottle next to the one in use.
LEDs for lighting everywhere but reading lamps.
FAT wiring chases everywhere: bimini, mast, arch, instrument panel, bridge deck (for mushroom antennas) battery box, shorepower outlet (with cable and telephone jacks.)
Real steps up to berths
Steps down to foredeck from cabin top.
Midship cleats
Drogue cleats aft strong enough to hoist the whole boat, with no chafe points.
Chocks on the inboard sides of the bows and sterns for crossed dock lines.
Extend aft hulls a foot or two with near-waterline deck to ease boarding dinghy and unloading groceries, and a fin-friendly ladder that's at least 3' deep.
A good place for a gasoline generator, either portables or the little Westerbeke.
OPTIONS: non-slippery floors inside (cork? synthetic teak?) Gray water tanks. AC duct to aft cabin. Five foot prodder than swings left and right (like the F-31) for better screacher sheet angles, simpler spinnaker gybes
One opening transom for bicycle or watertoy storage.
Dog ramp.
Electric halyard winch.
HOW ABOUT a PDQ 32 with boards and a 38' waterline?
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026