Hacker Alert!

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
phild
skipper
skipper

Hacker Alert!

Post by phild »

Today I discovered that my Yahoo Address Book had been hacked into and someone is currently forwarding a bogus email from me requesting money be sent to me in London of all places! THIS IS SPAM - PLEASE DELETE WITHOUT RESPONDING!

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause anyone but there apparently is little I can do other than notify Yahoo which I've already done!

Phil-
Phil and Mary DiDomenico
s/v Arabella

"There is more to sailing than ropes and winches, cleats and bulging sails. There are faraway places and the everchanging light, and the silence, and a great peace at the bottom of your soul." - Mate
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Re: Hacker Alert!

Post by Cat Tales »

Unfortunately I've seen this happen to two other Yahoo accounts in the past few months. The accounts are taken over, the perpetrators sift through your "Old" & "Sent" mail to develop a believable letter, then send it out to your contacts. In both circumstances the passwords have also been changed and codes placed on the account, denying the original account holder any access. Yahoo had no response to the fraud, stating that they don't know who is the true original account holder. I'd recommend switching to another internet-based email provider such as GMail.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
phild
skipper
skipper

Re: Hacker Alert!

Post by phild »

My situation is exactly as you described.
Phil and Mary DiDomenico
s/v Arabella

"There is more to sailing than ropes and winches, cleats and bulging sails. There are faraway places and the everchanging light, and the silence, and a great peace at the bottom of your soul." - Mate