Cockpit storage of sheets and halyards

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Cockpit storage of sheets and halyards

Post by Dan White »

Is anybody really happy with where they store sheets and halyards? I put some hooks on the bulkheads on either side of the cockpit, but, with the access hatches to the outboard engines and the helmsmens' seats, it is very congested. ( I have a seat on both sides of the cockpit. Also have 2 extra lines due to the sprit mounted screecher, so their are 4 lines on each side.)

The best place would be right over the engine access hatches, but then I couldn't open them. Any thoughts?
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Re: Cockpit storage of sheets and halyards

Post by Kokomo »

Dan : For several of the lines, try to put them in a loose coil of about 18 to 20" long, take one end of the coil over the roof support just to the right of your helm chair, and bring it back through it's loop. I keep the jib halyard, the jib sheet and the main sheet here on Kokomo. Bonnie keeps the jib sheet like that on here side. This also works well for dock lines placing the coil over the rails or lifelines.

For the reefing lines, I use those 3M adhesive hooks sold everywhere. I drill a small hole in the bottom of the hook and attach a 9 to 12" loop of small line. Coil the reefing line, put your hand through the coil, grab the small line, bring it through, and place it over the large hook. We have 4 of these hooks along the edge of the cabin in front of the port seat. We also keep the jib furler line there.

E-mail me at Kokomo36@juno.com if you want clarification.
Roger and Bonnie
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Dan, our port & starboard sheets and halyards are stored hanging from the ss hand rail on the hard top roof, directing above the rope clutches. The sheets are coiled then made to the grab rail with a half hitch, keeping them perpendicular to the rope clutch. It keeps our sheets off the deck, helping them dry faster, but also prevent mold growth if your boat is sitting for any length of time. They take up about 6 inches of the grab rail thus not impeding it's use. They are out of the foot-travel-zone preventing any tripping. And they are easily reached & uncoiled from inside the cockpit.

Our reefing lines are secured in a similar fashion to Kokomo's.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

Hi Roger, Bonnie, Chris and Kelly
Thanks for some great ideas. I also use the 3M hooks for the reefing lines, but I never thought about the roof supports and grab rails. Appreciate the feedback. Once again, what a great resource this board is.