Holding tank questions

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Holding tank questions

Post by amytom »

Holding Tank problems / questions

Had some bad odor coming from the holding tank. Sam sugested the vent hose and I did find it to have a large dip in it trapping the overflow. The hose was also just plain re-inforced poly and was quite old and yellowed. I changed that with a much shorter length of 3/4" sanitation hose (hose barbs are not the right size BTW. Heat gun needed for the install) The old hose was quite nasty and I'm glad it's gone but I still have an odor. I'm sure the other hoses are due for replacement as well. I will change them once I find a day suitable for a nasty job. :?
The real questions are:

1) Has anybody had issues with the FRP holding tank leaking or leaching?

2) How can we install an external tank monitor? Will the adhesive sticker work outside the FRP or do I need the PVC pipe inside the tank?

3) How often does everyone pump the holding tank?

4) In Melbourne, where can I get the tank pumped? I tried the Eua Gallie Yacht Basin (nearest) but they are never on-site and don't answer their phone or voicemail.

5) How can I clean the tank itself? Is it common to pump then fill with fresh water and pump again?

6) Has anybody tee'd in a line from a seperate fresh water tank for flushing?

Thanks again for all your help
Loki
skipper
skipper

Re: Holding tank questions

Post by Loki »

amytom wrote:Holding Tank problems / questions

Had some bad odor coming from the holding tank. Sam sugested the vent hose and I did find it to have a large dip in it trapping the overflow. The hose was also just plain re-inforced poly and was quite old and yellowed. I changed that with a much shorter length of 3/4" sanitation hose (hose barbs are not the right size BTW. Heat gun needed for the install) The old hose was quite nasty and I'm glad it's gone but I still have an odor. I'm sure the other hoses are due for replacement as well. I will change them once I find a day suitable for a nasty job. :?
The real questions are:

1) Has anybody had issues with the FRP holding tank leaking or leaching?
No, not really. I would expect problems in the hose. On my boat exhaust hose was used instead of proper sanitation hose.
amytom wrote: 2) How can we install an external tank monitor? Will the adhesive sticker work outside the FRP or do I need the PVC pipe inside the tank?

3) How often does everyone pump the holding tank?
When cruising, every 3-4 days. And I try to empty it before returning.
amytom wrote: 4) In Melbourne, where can I get the tank pumped? I tried the Eua Gallie Yacht Basin (nearest) but they are never on-site and don't answer their phone or voicemail.

5) How can I clean the tank itself? Is it common to pump then fill with fresh water and pump again?
That's about all you can do short of removing to top and really cleaning it. By the way, the harsher the chemical you use for cleaning, the more sludge you'll have in the tank. K. O. and Vinegar are the only chemicals I've ever used.
amytom wrote: 6) Has anybody tee'd in a line from a seperate fresh water tank for flushing?
Unless your head is designed for that (Vacuflush, etc) don't even think of connecting it to your drinking water system.
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

I wasn't thinnking of connecting the main fresh waer system. I was thinking of adding another tank for fresh flushing water then putting a valve in so salt water copuld also be used if needed.
Catrina
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Catrina »

External tank monitors work just fine. I installed a gauge SeeLevel II that is used in RV applications. They are sold by Garnet Technologies. http://www.rvgauge.com My tank was longer than their gauge so I don't get a reading for the first 25 percent, but that's fine with me. Also used the second unit for the water tank as they come with two units.
Catrina - MV34 Hull # 55 - 110HP - 4 Blade props
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Either Melbourne Harbor to the south or Telemar to the north.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

When at the dock in-between cruises we fill a gallon pitcher with fresh water and use that to flush the head (in the dry flush mode). Salt water reacts with urine and builds a residue on the interior of the hose. The result is the pungent head odor we all dread. Fortunately fresh water doesn't cause the same odors. Putting two gallons worth will get all remaining waste washed through the line. Vinegar also helps to clean out that residue.

Its also a good idea to keep some water in the bowl to help prevent the rubber o-rings and flaps from drying out. It also prevents noxious odors seeping into your head from the waste water tank.

You may also want to try an in-line filter for the vent hose.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

To get rid of the odors try "Odorlos". West Marine sells it. We have had absolutley no odors since we started using it in our aging system 6 years ago. We had many before we used it.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Post by Kokomo »

On our PDQ36, we also had odor when someone was pumping the head. Water in the holding tank, foul air out the vent, vent near the cockpit - not good! We installed a SaniGard Holding Tank Vent Filter in line and the problem was solved. BTW - it lasts years as long as the tank isn't overfilled and water gets into the filter.
Roger and Bonnie
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

If you were thinking of installing a fresh water flush system, this may be your solution. I just came upon this website by accident while searching for some other boat goodies, so I don't know anything about it.

http://www.myboatsgear.com/mbg/product.asp?prodID=1152
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Latis (32028)
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Latis (32028) »

Last year I replaced everything - head; hoses, clamps etc .. nasty job but made a huge difference - dare I say - it almost smells nice now! Also went ahead and used those white "Odor Safe hose" just a little bit extra (about $9/foot) but seems to work well. Occasionally flush some of that blue stuff through the system to keep it fresh.
Pierre
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Thanks for all the replies. Yesterday I pumped (at Talemar) and rinsed several times with fresh water. It seemed better but I'll get a better idea this weekend. Also, I've been using the odorloss but to no avail. The tank was full though, (pumping out raised the stbd bow about 2 inches). So I guess I was full of sh%t, not the first time :)
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Post by Kokomo »

I just heard a trick on CruiseHeimers Tech Net (8152 USB around 9AM on Wed. & sun.) for keeping odor down. Try Oxi-Clean powder in the tank. About 1 scoop per 10 gal. of capacity. Cheap and effective according to the source.
Roger and Bonnie
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Thanks, I'll give it a try as the fresh water rinse and vinager didn't do the trick. Only odor is coming from the vent.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

we used the enzyme based holding tank cleaner that west sells under their own name. it worked very well in eliminating odors and it did it very quickly.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Post by Kokomo »

We installed the "SaniGard Holding Tank Vent Filter" and it eliminated the odor from the vent. It installes in-line in the vent hose - easy!!! NO MORE ODOR and we use the boat 365 days a year.
Roger and Bonnie