Decal striping removal, replacement, sourcing

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
boathead
1st mate
1st mate

Decal striping removal, replacement, sourcing

Post by boathead »

Just did this little project on our 2003 model so it was pretty well sun baked and cracked up in areas of the hull and especially on the flybridge. The inside of the hull was in good shape. I've seen some boats were the decals have been removed and not replaced or painted over. Not pretty.
Here is what you need to do it right.
1 Patience.
2 Drill mounted 4" easer wheel attachment (Amazon $18) (won't hurt the gelcoat)
3 PLASTIC razor blades (Amazon $10) (never knew there was such a thing)
4 Goo Off (residue removal)
5 heat gun or good hair dryer
6 plastic sheet to lay on deck

Hull 3" 3M vinyl stripping in dark blue (good color match) 150' (Min.amount) $30 (Amazon)

flybridge 2" 3M as above 150'. $30. (Amazon)

When replaced the decals make sure you use a guideline with painters tape on the backside of the flybridge because you have to pull and stretch it a bit as you work around the curve. If you screw it up you'll have plenty to try again.

Don't be afraid Pilgrims you can do this ! It's best to have an assistant many hands and all that.. When you apply the decal you wet the area down in sections with soapy water then squeegee it down. This gives you working time for proper placement. Start in an easy area to get your technique down.

good luck,

Cheers Carl
2003 Hull 28 75 hp Belmar (soon to be renamed KARMA)
home port Queens Creek Mathews Va.(Chesapeake Bay)
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Decal striping removal, replacement, sourcing

Post by deising »

I can attest that it is not all that hard. I used 3 wheels to get ALL the striping off. Putting on new just takes patience and care.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
BuoyScout
deckhand
deckhand

Post by BuoyScout »

Just ordered our new decal set! Made some edits, and trying a few new things.

Used 3M vinyl tape 471 for the bottom pin striping: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00K2Z5N2I?psc ... ct_details

(I've got lots extra if anyone needs some)

reflective white for the 1" and 5/8" pin striping: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XBC2QBY?psc ... ct_details

and 3.2 mil UV Gloss - Vinyl Laminate for the plotted artwork.

We ordered a 4" strip (same height as our striping) with the PDQ Yachts logo cut out - going to add it to the inside hull strips and see how it looks/holds up.
Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 10.54.35 AM.png
Photoshop mockup:
Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 11.24.21 AM.png
Finished pics to follow...

And thanks for the shopping list @boathead !!
Josh + Karen + Dutch
SCOUT, Toronto ON, Canada
2004 PDQ MV/34
Hull #035
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Nice job - very sporty.

We also recently replaced all the original bootstripes and pinstriping with vinyl tape. Considered painting as an alternative, but eventuially decided on tape because it was simpler to apply and less expensive. Finding similar colours was a challenge, but eventually we found a very good match (the green is a shade darker than original) through a local sign shop. Although not cheap (all in about $950 for three 150' rolls), the tape has a 12 year rating and should outlast us.

Along with some minor fiberglass repairs to the upper hull, deck and wheelhouse, a professional cutwax, fresh bottom paint, and a final wax by yours truly, His Idea is looking much more dapper than before. We're very pleased with the results.
Attachments
PXL_20230327_211513024.jpg
PXL_20230327_211444604.jpg
PXL_20230327_211329113.jpg
BuoyScout
deckhand
deckhand

Post by BuoyScout »

Dapper indeed! We're still on the hard and rolling thru a similar list.

QUESTION: The unsundamaged gelcoat (where the previous name used to be) is pristine compared to the rest of the boat. Any tricks to get it to dull to at least come closer to fading in? Or does it remain forever as an homage to Vagabond?

I know, I know. Buy a new boat.
Josh + Karen + Dutch
2004 PDQ MV/34
Hull #035
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Thanks Josh. I'm sure your boat will look as sharp when you're done.

Regarding the 'shadows' left behind, we had similar issues when we purchased His Idea. Even though the boat was only 5 seasons old at the time, the relentless Florida sun already had a good start on the fading process. Fortunately we only had to deal with the name and home port details on the stern, which had been somewhat shaded by the tender. The size we chose for our labelling also hid much of the remaining shadows after we had buffed out the area as much as we could.

The best advice I can give is to have the boat professionally cutwaxed. This year was the first time we had it done and it made a very noticeable difference in removing the accumulated oxidation and improving the shine of the fibreglass. The end result exceeded my expectations - not perfect, but very good. I recommend a professional job because a reputable outfit will have the tools, supplies, experience and stamina (it's hard work!) that most DIY attempts can't match.

Hope this helps, and good luck with he project.

Cheers,

John
BuoyScout
deckhand
deckhand

Post by BuoyScout »

Thanks for that John. Just watched a YouTube vid... it does look like hard work. I've got some pro help here with me. We'll give it a shot.
Josh + Karen + Dutch
2004 PDQ MV/34
Hull #035
BuoyScout
deckhand
deckhand

Post by BuoyScout »

IMG_6860.jpg
Well, you warned me John. Hard work indeed. I spent a very, very long time on it, but very much worth it.

Decals and striping on!
Josh + Karen + Dutch
2004 PDQ MV/34
Hull #035
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Congratulations on completing the job yourself Josh. It looks good......and no need to visit the gym for awhile :!: