PDQ 32 cockpit ports/windows

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

PDQ 32 cockpit ports/windows

Post by MIDORI »

I have searched the PDQ and PDQ 32 topics for information on cockpit ports. There are 3 on each cockpit, one each in the stateroom and one into the salon. I do recall reading some feedback on these ports but cannot locate any information. The hinge setup on all three are failing. I would appreciate any suggestions from the group please. Brian sv MIDORI 3232
Brian
James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: PDQ 32 cockpit ports/windows

Post by James Power »

Hi Brian,

I have a used one in the shop that has manufacturer stamps from Bomar/ Grey/ Pompanette.

James
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Post by MIDORI »

Thank you James. I will contact Pompettellc.com to see if a replacement is available. i do not have any knowledge of 3d printing, the cost or ability to have the outside frame reproduced? Thank you for your response James. SVMIDORI 32032
Brian
Jwood1
skipper
skipper

Post by Jwood1 »

I have the same issue with the cockpit hatches on Terrapin. Looking at the Pompanette web site, the 900 series looks to be the same hatch, but there is very little information on it. The problem is with the hinge on the door of the hatch. I'm hoping I can just replace that without replacing the whole thing. Let us know what you find.
Terrapin
1997 PDQ 32 LRC #26
Punta Gorda, FL

http://terrapinsailing.com/
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Post by MIDORI »

I will keep you in the loop. MIDORI has damage to both the frame and window hinge. I will attempt to post a photo.
SV MIDORI 32032
Brian
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Post by MIDORI »

Photo
Attachments
stateroom hatch.JPG
Brian
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

The cause seems to be corrosion on the pins causing expansion/cracking. Too bad we didn't all replace the pins 10 years ago, before they got brittle. Probably too late now.

If I could not get a replacement hatch I would probably either fabricate the parts from aluminum (paint white) or 3-D print them and install from the inside with machine screws (not the whole frame, just the two hinge parts).
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Post by MIDORI »

The idea from Thinwater has merit. Now the www.Pompanettellc.com page has 2 hinge sets of interest, Low profile P2000-44 and Pin & hinge P2000-20hp. I could look into those. Brian 32032
Brian
Jwood1
skipper
skipper

Post by Jwood1 »

I am resurrecting this thread to show how I replaced the cockpit hatches.
I purchased three of the Bowmar hatches from Go2Marine, 171/2 x 12 1/2 size
https://www.go2marine.com/Low-Profile-M ... 1&size=199

They did not have them in stock but special order them from Bowmar. I called Bowmar to see how long it would take and they confirmed that Go2Marine is one of their main dealers and they would make the hatches in about 3-4 weeks. They were delivered in the stated time frame.
They are an exact copy and fit. I purchased the hatches without the trim ring for the inner part of the hatch, which was in good shape and I didn't want to mess with installing that part. This proved to be the correct decision.

The old hatches came out surprisingly easy: just remove the screws and use a stiff putty knife and go around with gentle prying and they should pull out.
Cleaning off the old gasket material was also easy using a razor blade.
The flange of the hatch is wide and there was gasket material toward the inside that was in very good shape: nice molded rubber that seemed to hold the trim ring in and make for a nice tight fit of the new hatch. I decided to leave that intact and only clean the outer 3/4 of an inch where the screw holes are.
I then dry fitted the new hatch and masked around the outside.
Removed the hatch and cleaned with isopropyl alcohol.
I put a good sized bead of 3M adhesive sealant 4000 UV along the surface of the bulkhead basically on top of the screw holes. I then pressed the hatch into place and put in all the screws just tight enough to press the frame to the surface and extrude some of the caulk. I smoothed the edge with my finger wetted with some isopropanol. Then removed the tape. Then touch up with isopropanol on a shop towel around the edge. The 3M 4000 comes off nicely with isopropanol from hands and gel coat. That’s it! One tube was enough for all three.
Did all three in an afternoon.
Terrapin
1997 PDQ 32 LRC #26
Punta Gorda, FL

http://terrapinsailing.com/