cockpit door

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Old PDQ Message Board
Site Admin

cockpit door

Post by Old PDQ Message Board »

cockpit door

Posted by Sandy Daugherty on March 11, 2004 at 10:09:00:

Page 83 is 1993 PDQ 36 with a folding smoked plexiglass door to the cabin. The original

locking latch needs replacing. What is the best way you've seen of accomplishing this?

In Reply to: cockpit door posted by Sandy Daugherty on March 11, 2004 at 10:09:00:

The lock/latch used in the old 36 plexi door is made by Perko. It's the exact same latch as

is used on the two anchor lockers and the port and starboard stern lockers on all 36's even

I suspect, on the new ones. It might also be used on the other boats. I don't know for sure.

As any of you who boat in salt will confirm, these latches rot away to NOTHING in salt. My D

rings literally disolved over time, leaving nothing but a white powder residue, as did the

locks and L brackets on the back. All that survived was the black plastic.

T-H Marine (THMARINE.COM) makes (or at least sells) a drop in replacement. It is superior in

construction. The D ring is stainless steel. They are called "Recessed lock" and "Recessed

latch" and are designed as a replacement for the Perko 2 3/8" hole installation.

I think T-H Marine has a pdf catalogue on their web site.

Posted by Sandy Daugherty on March 12, 2004 at 13:47:00:

In Reply to: Re: cockpit door posted by - on March 11, 2004 at 13:09:00:

That's good to know, but I'm talking about the locking doorknob (lever) that hooks into a

fitting in the doorjamb.