Actual Performance of pDQ 36

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Tony

Actual Performance of pDQ 36

Post by Tony »

I'm thinking of buying a new PDQ 36, but cannot find reliable actual information of the performance under power and under sail. Pdq,s web site says the performance section is "under construction"
What is the realistic cruising speed and maximum speed realistically to be expected for PDQ 36 with normal rig? How much more would you get with the tall rig?
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I have hull number 36089 with a standard rig and outboards. The boat does half wind speed on pretty much any thing above 60 degrees. The outboards will provide 6 knots at 3900 RPM and 6.5 at 4200 RPM.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Page 83
admiral
admiral

PDQ 36 performance

Post by Page 83 »

We should add that performance claims by manufacturers are, to put it mildly, suspicious. Even sail polars are rarely based on a typical base boat. The inexperienced buyer thinks that the performance of a beach cat rocket ship extends to include all other catamarans, but performance is determined by the goals of the designer. Cruising cats vary a bit in performance due to boat weight, sail selection and trim, water conditions, and the skills of the helmsman. So your question should be 'what is fast enough for me?' You can have highest performance, greatest luxury, or biggest boat for the money, but you can't have all three.

Interesting point: A Morelli and Melvin designed 35' catamaran went dead on the market place when the builder put the accurate sail polars on their web site. People compared these realistic numbers to the exciting but flat out unrealistic apocryphal claims found on most other web sites, and stayed away in droves. Truth in advertising is self destructive!
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

performance

Post by doubledutch »

For what it is worth I posed a similar question relative to the 32 a while back and based on my experiences to date I have found the performance to be better than I anticipated based on the forum responses. I have the tall mast on the 32 and our cruises tend to be short so we travel light although there is a dingy hanging off the stern. I find the 50 percent of wind speed number is a reasonable average based on apparent wind however when the wind is forward of the beam I can often sail at 70 percent or better of true wind speed in light to moderate winds. Also when headed upwind under power sails up can add a knot even in very light air.

The real good news is that unlike my former monohull the speed curve doesn't stop at 7.5 k.
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Re: PDQ 36 performance

Post by Dan White »

(snip) " So your question should be 'what is fast enough for me?' You can have highest performance, greatest luxury, or biggest boat for the money, but you can't have all three. "

This is exactly correct and very important. Additionally, what kind of sailing are you doing? Relaxed cuising or racing. If the latter, you might consider the 36 express. Either way I think the tall rig and upgraded sails plus the screecher would be a benefit. The dagger boards and reduced weight would hellp performance too, but compromise other things.I usually have inexperienced guests or kids aboard so I am happy with the comfort and stability.

My PDQ 36( hull 96) has standard rig plus generator, air conditioner, full load of gas, water, etc. In less than 5 knots TWS I generally crank up the engines; From 5 to 15 I am happy at 50% TWS. If I get things just right we touch 8 knots. Over 20 knots TWS I am thinking about reefing, not speed.