Realistic working load for 36 Classic

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
B Sardo
deckhand
deckhand

Realistic working load for 36 Classic

Post by B Sardo »

Hello,

I have been reading everything I can find about the PDQ 36. My interest is in the Classic model. I would like to know how living aboard and doing serious cruising within weight limitations is being accomplished by those of you that are doing it.

Chuck Kanter in his current "Cruising in Catamarans" writes good things about PDQ and the 36. He does warn about over loading the vessel. Is the 36 Classic as sensitive to load as the heavier LRC model? What methods are some of you using to live in comfort while maintaining performance and safety?

Thanks,
Bob
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

As I'm sure you've read elsewhere, weight is a major consideration for any cat. I can't help with LRC v. Classic loads, but I think the hulls are identical. On my classic, the first transome step is almost always awash when loaded for cruising even though I'm VERY careful about minimizing weight. This seems to be pretty common among all the PDQ 36s I've seen.

A delivery captain cautioned me against putting two much weight in the bow lockers. He indicated that, when crashing the waves. the PDQ bows tend to nose under when there's too much weight up front I've followed the advice and thus haven't verified whether the caution is justifiable. The bow lockers are huge, so the temptation to stow lost of junk up there is great.

Good winds, Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility