Gas Tank Vent?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
ATTITUDE
skipper
skipper

Gas Tank Vent?

Post by ATTITUDE »

Curious if my Capella gas tank (yes, I have outboards) has a vent. If so, where the heck is it?!
From sunny Florida,
Doug
s/v ATTITUDE
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Doug,

On Cat Tales (which has outboards) the vent is located on the forward starboard corner of the gas tank. You can locate the hose exiting the tank into your starboard engine well, (where we have a Racor filter in place). It then exits below decks, on the inside of the starboard hull. Hope this helps.

Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Lady of the Lake has the same configuration, hose exiting top of tank on starboard side of tank, forward corner, running under the helm to a racor and then exiting under the cockpit.

Sam and Gina
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
ATTITUDE
skipper
skipper

Gas Vent? Follow Up

Post by ATTITUDE »

Chris and Sam & Gina:
Thank you so much for the responses.
On past boats, I could hear the air being forced out of the vent when fueling up. And of course, no matter how careful I tried to be, many times some fuel would spill out through the vent.

In the few times I've fueled up my PDQ I've never heard the gush of air or saw any evidence of a fuel spill. Now I know why.

This afternoon I took a good look around. Sure enough, on the forward wall of the starboard motor compartment is a fuel/air separator.

Thanks again,
Doug
ATTITUDE
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

When you get a chance, lift the floor in the cockpit just to take a look around. It was very enlightening when I took a good hard look. I changed the fuel sending unit from a mechanical sender to an electronic sender from Livorsi. Looks like there is a lot more room in there for a much bigger fuel tank for longer journeys. I would guess I could add another 20 gallons if I were to design a custom tank. The only issue would be more weight aft which is already a problem on my boat.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL